Heavily chiseled windmill

StCatharines

Might I recommend a windmill Idea?
Make a windmill that gets larger every 5 blocks down for three 5 block intervals (example being 3x3 to 4x4 to 5x5 and the 5x5 the rest of the way down) and make the windmill round-ish.
At every segment where it gets wider plant some flowers and/or bushes and/or amaranth, give it that patchy chisel look like the 1st one, then have vines growing down from the various floors with plants, maybe have those logs from the 2nd photo between floors to have vines hang from too.

• Like 1

Going for roundness in VS always feels so wrong, but I do plan on trying to combine the stepped levels of the logged type with the chiseled type. I like and dislike aspects of both, for sure! I don't normally go overboard with being decorative, but I've been trying to get into it a bit more.

My main sticking point in making a windmill 3x3 at any point is then there's no longer room to add a ladder and climb inside of it, once the large gear is added at the top.

8 hours ago, Nerdlin Geeksly said:

all that's missing is The Eye of Sauron

Maybe I will build that later. In Primitive survival there are such a good blocks like temporal, astral or ethereal blocks and variants.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2024 at 2:55 PM, StCatharines said:

For comparison, here's the previous windmill I made. I think the chiseling really adds a certain something, but I think my next attempt will try to combine aspects of both.

windmill2.thumb.jpg.23d2ef4e9ce5462a1643daba450ff6ba.jpg

This is pretty sleek, the base and the tower are well balanced, I like it. If I were you, I would take this design and add chiseled details like you did in the first tower (the chisel work is delicious, I'm loving the fall-apart effect, but the shape of the tower is actually a bit too straight) and just as you said make a mix of the two. I like to carve details with the chisel in some areas, but also add extra blocks on top and remove most of the material to get this sort of protruded effect, very 3-dimensional. Plus if there isn't, I would add a tiny roof to this 😁

• Like 1

Very nice chiselling, plaster with exposed stonework is an excellent look.

You might like trying an external staircase concept

image.thumb.png.c0d0ca2c986065be97e9812ece076b4e.pngimage.thumb.png.82c5dfcab4ac8d844bed575531f53b78.pngimage.thumb.png.b45f230d03f47a00bedfa0212413ac91.png

It can offer a pretty dynamic building experience, depending on how large the base you start with, and the shape lends itself very well to weathered plaster, if that is a look you intend to continue working with.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.