Food omg food....

Jeremy McArthur

So I'm just a few hours in and so far its been a good experience.... except food. I spend all day gathering food to prep for the night and explore a bit. Then my hunger bar goes down the majority of the way during the night. So then I'm just back to trying to find food again. So that's about it, I'm just spending most of my time trying to get food.

Am I missing something or is this how the beginning of the game is supposed to be? 

3 hours ago, Jeremy McArthur said:

Am I missing something or is this how the beginning of the game is supposed to be? 

It can be a steep-ish curve when you're new.  Part of it is recognizing what to expect where you spawn.  If you spawn in certain areas, like lush green forest,  you can expect lots of mushrooms and blueberries.  Green grassy plains, or low marshalnds, potentially a lot of berries.     And it also helps to know that cooked cattail roots are food, in a pinch.

Hunting also helps.  Meat fills a lot of hunger, even bushmeat.  Rabbits and racoons are easiest to hunt (they don't fight back).  you'll need to get good at throwing your spear to get rabbits, unless you make pit traps.  Sheep and boar give tons of meat, but are pretty dangerous.  So you gotta be ready for them.

Another key thing is the cooking pot.   Make it early and use it to make meals such as porridge (grain & berries) and stews (meat & vegetables).  You get a satiation bonus from meals.

And yet another good thing to use is the large clay vessel (which makes food spoil slower).  You can also put them in a cellar, to reduce the spoilage even more.

But once you learn how the world gen works, that will help a lot.  being able to immediately recognize if you're likely to find food in your current biome or not is important, because if it's a sparse food biome, you'll want to move out of it. 

I would really recommend you to craft a pot for cooking and a bowl. 

Also dig a 3x3 Hole two blocks deep and put a field of some crop on a pillar in the middle. This way you easily catch rabbits wich you can hunt and cook. A meat stew is quiete a good meal wich will last one or two days. 

Then just store some of the stew in pots inside a cellar or storage vessel and you should be fine with food for more exploring etc. 

• Thanks 1

You can use a temporal gear (drifters rarely drop them as loot) to move spawn point closer to where you live.

The best advice I can give you for food is that you need to live in a temperate forest. That's where you can find the most bushes and mushrooms. Not sure about wild crops, but I'm not complaining. Once you find some mushroom patches and fetch several berry bushes to your home, it becomes much easier to stay fed. In the long term, though, farming is the best.

Hey SCC Its McAwesome from the server 🥳. So replying to everyone, I started a new map after the first post and had not just better luck, but GREAT luck. I had rabbits, crops, terra preta, trees, berry bushes and went on a grand bee searching adventure just to find out there was a nest like 20-30 blocks away 🤦‍♂️

So ya, my fist game was just bad luck coupled with no experience haha. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.