Stone age improvements

Devilofether

I currently think the stone age is quite barren at times; considering this will be new player's first impression of the game, I think improvements and streamlining is justified.

1. primitive fences / walls / gates / roofs: It is very difficult to find sufficient building materials in the stone age, especially if you like to play with sideways instability turned on. Realistically anyone with the patience and know-how could construct a lean-to shelter if nothing else using large sticks and branches, logically you can make simple buildings as well. It is also incredibly frustrating to lose early crops to critters when food is so scarce, so fences are a must at the very least. Here is the perfect example of a stone-age building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTVuRrZO8w&ab_channel=PrimitiveTechnology.   I imagine the primative shapes will be made primarily of sticks and grass.

1.5. Wattle and daub: direct upgrade to the previous suggestion

2. Clay "buckets": we already have clay jars and urns; and clay is already more airtight than wood typically is, so why not make urns that can carry water source blocks

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devilofether said:

primitive fences / walls / gates / roofs: It is very difficult to find sufficient building materials in the stone age, especially if you like to play with sideways instability turned on. ... It is also incredibly frustrating to lose early crops to critters when food is so scarce, so fences are a must at the very least.

Fences and gates would be nice. Could you state examples of how it would work from a game mechanics perspective? You can already dig ditches and make dirt walls.

13 minutes ago, Devilofether said:

Realistically anyone with the patience and know-how could construct a lean-to shelter if nothing else using large sticks and branches

A similar idea was brought up recently and the consensus was that such a structure would not keep out drifters, or even likely wolves, making it more work for the dev with little more than aesthetic value to players.

15 minutes ago, Devilofether said:

Wattle and daub: direct upgrade to the previous suggestion

Isn't that like cob?

15 minutes ago, Devilofether said:

Clay "buckets": we already have clay jars and urns; and clay is already more airtight than wood typically is, so why not make urns that can carry water source blocks

Yes. I brought up the clay buckets too. Question is... Why would anyone upgrade to wooden? Maybe clay has limited uses?

1. Stick fences are indeed an idea i would endorse. maybe 3-6 sticks and 1-2 rope per piece? (needs to be kinda expensive else the other fence would lose it's meaning)

Primitive walls and roofs allready exist, cobblestone aint hard to make or gather from ruins and i'm using hayblocks as a roof which is essentially the same as a thatch roof. as for gates... well yeah thats kinda tricky since real gates are something that came only later on i think, they used to block the "doorway" with something instead of a real door i think. Here Hayblocks are again a good way since you can harvest em in a flash even without a tool.

2. I kinda? agree since i do think we need a way to transport water for cooking earlier than it takes to get a saw and make a bucket. but i do think that maybe beeing able to fill the pot itself with water should be the solution to the problem as you could use water for cooking just like that and if you want water for something different you would need an bucket.

• Cookie time 1

5 hours ago, Kaelty said:

. Stick fences are indeed an idea i would endorse. maybe 3-6 sticks and 1-2 rope per piece? (needs to be kinda expensive else the other fence would lose it's meaning)

Love this!

5 hours ago, Kaelty said:

beeing able to fill the pot itself with water should be the solution to the problem as you could use water for cooking

Great idea

1 hour ago, Jeremy Betts said:

On the bucket note everyone keeps bringing up, makes perfect sense to have an earlier form of bucket. To keep it different just not allowing you to place a source block with it seems like enough of a difference, while still being able to fill a barrel, or use it in recipies.

yeah, but i think using the cooking pot for that would be the best solution. having even more items would just add clutter that needs storage space. (and we allready have a lot that needs storage space if you hoard like i do)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.