How do I get more/new materials after finding my first copper?

Akreter

Hi
i really like the game and the wiki was very helpful so far but right now I´m a little bit stuck and don't know what to do next. I found my first copper on the surface and digged down beneath it to get more. This way I was able to get my first copper tools (anvil, pickaxe, shear, saw, prospecting pick, hammer). But now I don't know how to get more copper or the next material. As far as I understand it's wasteful to stripmine like in minecraft and I should dig down on a good spot instead, which I have to search with the prospecting pic. But am I at this stage already? I really don't wan't to waste the little copper I have.

Thank you for your help!

Akreter

Edited by Akreter

You should still mark any surface copper you find and dig it up if you have the durability on your pick. It only takes 20 nuggets to make another. You can also pan for them. Using the pro pick is the next step. It takes 3 samples at least 3 blocks apart and it'll give you an idea of the possibility of ore in that chunk.  This video is helpful.

Edited by Sparkle Kitti
Added video link
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Akreter said:

But now I don't know how to get more copper or the next material. As far as I understand it's wasteful to stripmine like in minecraft and I should dig down on a good spot instead, which I have to search with the prospecting pic. But am I at this stage already?

You should be able to find more surface copper without too much trouble.   They sometimes occur more or less often, but it's not uncommon, I would say, to find them scattered about every 100 to 200 blocks.  You can subsit on those for a long time usually.    Tiering up to bronze will indeed likely require propick usage though, unless you get lucky.

• Like 1

In 8 different locations I had checked locations with surface copper with the prospecting pick and it always returned a 0 for the chance of more copper below so digging down blindly looks to be a complete waste of time.

Going out prospecting with the prospecting pick is probably your best bet.

I was lucky enough to find an "ultra rich" copper deposit with a reported 20‰ chance. There are multiple deposits below but with driving shafts I go through about  300-600 blocks of granite until I find one.

With other underground ores - assuming you even find a very rich location like that - expect to dig 2 to 4 times as much.

• Like 1

Given how much effort it is to keep even copper tools going I have started going against all Minecraft instincts and... digging straight down. ;)

A vertical shaft (with a ladder every 2nd block) maximises your coverage and you can drive 1 block shafts into 4 directions from there.
A horizontal shaft would double the digging effort and exploring downwards from one is awkward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gazz said:

In 8 different locations I had checked locations with surface copper with the prospecting pick and it always returned a 0 for the chance of more copper below

"surface copper" and "deep copper" are unrelated as far as where they occur.    Surface copper has to appear everywhere, regardless of stone type, in order to make a viable start that doesn't require a lot of panning.   Deep copper is stone type limited.   This is why surface copper does not show up on the propick - it can occur literally everywhere (except limestone, because limestone has malachite)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.