Some bugs we found v1.12.11

DasPrinzip

Hallo wir spielen nur auf Server und uns sind in den vergangenen Tage ein paar Bugs aufgefallen:

- Hühner springen manchmal über Zäune (Zaun ist dabei 1 Block hoch)
- Wölfe springen über Zäune (bis 2 Blöcke hoch) oder Wälle (z.B. aus Erde), die bis zu 4 Blöcke hoch sind
- Nach Serverneustart sind die Vogelscheuchen nicht mehr an dem Punkt, wo sie platziert waren, sondern 1-2 Blöcke daneben
- eingeloggte Spieler sind nicht auf der Map sichtbar. Wenn man sich neu einloggt sieht man sie, aber dafür sehen die anderen einen nicht (mehr)

Client und Server Version 1.12.11

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello we only play on server and we noticed a few bugs in the last days:

- chickens sometimes jump over fences (fence is 1 block high)
- Wolves jump over fences (up to 2 blocks high) or walls (e.g. made of earth), which are up to 4 blocks high
- After server restart the scarecrows are no longer at the point where they were placed, but 1-2 blocks next to it
- Logged in players are not visible on the map. If you log in again, you can see them, but the others will not see you (anymore)

Client & Server Version 1.12.11

1 hour ago, DasPrinzip said:

- chickens sometimes jump over fences (fence is 1 block high)

- Wolves jump over fences (up to 2 blocks high) or walls (e.g. made of earth), which are up to 4 blocks high

Mobs can get in a situation where they 'dog pile' up on each other and the top one gets boosted over the fence, apparently.  Never seen it myself but apaprently it can happen.   Try to avoid inside corners that make it easy for them to get trapped in a corner.  Also make sure there's nothing next to the fence that they can step on to get over it.  This might include things like baskets, buckets, or watering cans (troughs supposedly have been modified so that they cannot be walked upon by mobs). 

Wolves can cross a 1-wide gap.  So if you have just a single block wide trench, they'll just roll right over it.   In addition to the previous concerns about adjacent items boosting them.   Additionally, it's possible to accidentally build your field/base over a wolf spawn point, in which case they're actually spawning inside the walls.

It would be a lot easier to comment if we could see the barriers in question, that are being crossed.  We would need to see the entire view though, to make a well informed judgement.  Not just a single part.

3 hours ago, redram said:

Wolves can cross a 1-wide gap.  So if you have just a single block wide trench, they'll just roll right over it.   In addition to the previous concerns about adjacent items boosting them.   Additionally, it's possible to accidentally build your field/base over a wolf spawn point, in which case they're actually spawning inside the walls.

You misunderstand me. I had some wolves in a tunnel like in the picture and they jumped more then three times above it

2020-03-23_22-12-47.png

7 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

How do you do this since fences don't place at an angle?

Have your pens be simple squares or rectangles, where all the corners are outside corners.  Try not to have 'L' shaped pens.   That L has an inside corner.   Same would go for pens that abut a building that is wider than they are.  That creates an inside corner where the fence meets the building.  Or cliff.  Or whatever.

5 hours ago, DasPrinzip said:

You misunderstand me. I had some wolves in a tunnel like in the picture and they jumped more then three times above it

Not so much misunderstood, as was trying to toss out some info for you, and at the same time get more info from you.   These animals getting over barriers problems can be hard to diagnose without pictures sometimes.  What you described, and and what you show there, is not supposed to be possible.   So, without being able to see the true case, I have to assume there is some other factor coming into play, which you are not aware of and so are not describing.  Just how many wolves are in this 'tunnel'? 

6 hours ago, redram said:

Not so much misunderstood, as was trying to toss out some info for you, and at the same time get more info from you.   These animals getting over barriers problems can be hard to diagnose without pictures sometimes.  What you described, and and what you show there, is not supposed to be possible.   So, without being able to see the true case, I have to assume there is some other factor coming into play, which you are not aware of and so are not describing.  Just how many wolves are in this 'tunnel'? 

I captured 6 wolves by walling them in and chasing them through these tunnels into the enclosure, as you can see on the pictures. While they were running through the tunnels, the wolves jumped several times over the ramparts, which were 3 to 4 blocks high.

2020-03-24_09-28-41.png

2020-03-24_09-29-39.png

But they haven't jumped out of the current enclosure?  Only that dirt tunnel?  I'd have to assume it's due to the 'dog-piling' effect, in combination with the passage being only 2 wide.  Since wolves are 2 blocks long, I'd assume the crowding caused them to clip into the walls, and be moved upward, or something.  Similar to how corpses produced in a confined space (such as a single wide pit trap) will sometimes magically levitate back to the surface.  Were you watching them when it happened?  Was there like, a 3-deep pile of wolves?  Also that block first course below the fences may have affected it, if that was there when they were being herded.  The block acts as a sort of step for them.  There'd still be 2 block of dirt wall above, so they'd still need a dog-pile effect to boost them that last level.  But the block first course would theoretically help.  

So in summary, I'd guess it's not so much a bug as a result of the particular effects of clipping and collision in confined space.   Making the tunnel 3 blocks wide rather than 2 may have helped, potentially.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.