How do you craft a saw?

DMKW

Can't for the life of me figure it out.  Can't find it on the wiki or anywhere here and much of the wiki info is out dated.  Also how is a ball of twine crafted?   I so badly just want to have a door and a bucket and fencing lol.

Also I attempted to make a Lead sword and pickaxe by melting down Lead ore but as the mold cooled I could not retrieve it.  Luckily when I gave up and broke the mold it gave me lead ingots instead of losing my Lead all together.  Does the lead ore have to be mixed with another ore? 

Hi Dmkw,

all metal tools (like the saw) have to be smithed on the anvil. The starter guide on the wiki tells you how to do smithing. Please point out the parts that are outdated on the wiki so that we can correct it.

Twine is made from 4 flax: http://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Crafting_Recipes#Food_.2F_Resources

Good point on the lead thing. Currently there are no lead tools, looks like we need to forbid pouring lead into tool molds. The metals you can make tools from is: Copper, Gold, Silver, Tin bronze, Bismuth bronze and Black bronze.

I'll add a page on these valid tool metals and a mention of the saw on the wiki this week!

Sorry I said that "much" of the wiki info is outdated but what I meant is that much of it is missing.    Which is understandable of course. So it still leaves a lot to just trial and error on my part.  Although the stone hammer crafting image is outdated.  At least I believe it is.    I will go ahead and attempt to make a saw now. 

23 hours ago, DMKW said:

Sorry I said that "much" of the wiki info is outdated but what I meant is that much of it is missing.    Which is understandable of course. So it still leaves a lot to just trial and error on my part.  Although the stone hammer crafting image is outdated.  At least I believe it is.    I will go ahead and attempt to make a saw now. 

Oh right, the copper age section in the starter guide is indeed outdated. Ok, I fixed that now and we will also make new videos of the smelting and smithing process so that these are also no longer outdated. Thanks for pointing it out!

> I finally have a saw!  The smithing and knapping is brilliant really.  Amazing game design there!

Thanks, glad to hear! 

A couple more questions I came up with during my testing.

Do chickens crow at certain times of the day?  Like to warn the night is approaching or finally that morning has come?  If they do thats brilliant, but It may just be all in my head.  When I'm out exploring and hear the crowing sound I usually start making my way home.

Is there a way to lure animals to my farm?  like with seeds?  So far I've just been herding them into pens by scaring them in whatever direction I want them to go. 

Does leveling work yet?  I'm assuming it doesn't.  I swear my level went up at one point to around 75% but I may have imagined it.  I was one shotted by a wolf while exploring so I believe I lost it XP.

41 minutes ago, DMKW said:

Do chickens crow at certain times of the day?  Like to warn the night is approaching or finally that morning has come?

No, but it's a very nice idea

44 minutes ago, DMKW said:

Is there a way to lure animals to my farm?  like with seeds? 

Not yet, scaring them in is the only way. Trapping baby animals and transporting them with cage is planned for future:
59f5d7153a484_Cageback.png.b4cbb40b63d2a4308f39c412a7b02289.png

45 minutes ago, DMKW said:

Does leveling work yet? 

Nope. We are still discussing about the leveling system and what is it going to be used for. 

Now that's a cool idea.  I wonder though, can those cages be placed with the animal still inside?  Or is it only a filled with said animal inventory thing?  I'm thinking of market stalls selling live chickens or bird cages for decoration.  If they can be hung from a rope or chain.  I imagine that's a lot more work and would require different sized cages though.    

• 9 months later...
On 10/24/2017 at 8:34 AM, Tyron said:

Oh right, the copper age section in the starter guide is indeed outdated. Ok, I fixed that now and we will also make new videos of the smelting and smithing process so that these are also no longer outdated. Thanks for pointing it out!

> I finally have a saw!  The smithing and knapping is brilliant really.  Amazing game design there!

Thanks, glad to hear! 

I love how quick you are to respond to things like this.?

Archived