quality of life Charcoal request.

MICHAEL CAMPBELL

I can appreciate the attention to detail and the desire to provide real-life experience in-game, However, when really thinking about it producing Charcoal at this time requires way to much time and effort.

Considering the fact that one has to find trees, plant trees, wait for said trees to grow, harvest trees, Split logs into firewood, Stack Firewood, Cover Firewood, Wait 48 or so hours for firewood to be converted to coal.

You can start to see the pattern here. I do believe that the current drop rate when harvesting coal could be Doubled without to much impact to realism. Perhapse to 2 with a varible of 1

The upside is that players won't have to spend nearly as much effort or time to produce charcoal and can spend that time doing more attractive and desired tasks.

My real argument here is that if you were to consider all of the things a player needs to do vrs what they want to do you can clearly see this task for most will not fall into the want to do list. 

So doing something to diminish unattractive time sinks in a game like this would have a massive upside in making the overall playing experience overall much more enjoyable.

The goal is to try and move more of the actual playtime into the Want to do vrs Have to do category in order to be overall more enjoyable time spent in-game. I do understand that for some it may be likely that they do enjoy this aspect of the game the way it is, but I would hazard a guess that if folks are cheating in or modding game files this is one of the areas that is already being tweaked by most players.

:)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 10:47 PM, MICHAEL CAMPBELL said:

However, when really thinking about it producing Charcoal at this time requires way to much time and effort.

? Not in my experience. If you cut down some trees to make a forest a little bit more "walkable", you easily get a lot more wood than you need for a 3x3x2 firewood pile which will produce charcoal for quite a while. With just one stack of 64 charcoal, you could hammer 256 tools or 128 plates, for example.

Considering the fact that one has to find trees, plant trees, wait for said trees to grow, harvest trees, Split logs into firewood, Stack Firewood, Cover Firewood, Wait 48 or so hours for firewood to be converted to coal.

Well, you make it seem tedious, but for me those are just normal and fun parts of the game. :)And I don't "wait"... I do other things in the meantime. ;)

Sometimes it's even just taking some of the stored firewood, stacking it in the prepared place, closing the entrance, igniting it, and coming back the next day (I think it's just 18, not 48 in-game hours) to collect your charcoal.

My real argument here is that if you were to consider all of the things a player needs to do vrs what they want to do you can clearly see this task for most will not fall into the want to do list. 

So doing something to diminish unattractive time sinks in a game like this would have a massive upside in making the overall playing experience overall much more enjoyable.

From what I've read so far in a couple of your posts, I got the impression that, with the things that you seem to enjoy the most in the game, the creative mode (with a normal world, not a flat plane) might be your thing? Or maybe change some settings, like "sapling growth speed" to the minimum of just 1.5 days?

I am not sure what the game will be like in a couple of years, but right now I really enjoy it the way it is with all the grinding and crafting. I mostly just hope for more stuff to find (like new plants and animals) and achieve (new goals like the saw) and maybe more crafting and blocks to work with, new uses for blocks (like ice for food preservation), bigger villages, more stuff to explore, maybe more lore..... :)

I guess I am being overly critical. I do enjoy more of the game when you get to the point where you have put in the work and gotten to the point where you have your ore sources, you have your basic garden in and posibly a herd or two. Food is no longer a real issue and you can focus more on how your buildings look and what materials things are made from. I think that as more tech and more ways to make some of these task more efficent are released it will not only add content and more things to do but help to create more time for the player to focus on more of the things that they really enjoy doing. I do find myself somtimes getting a bit anoyed by things like kilns or skeps that have to be complely rebuilt and new materials harvested to rebuild them but if everything were easy I guess it wouldnt be the same.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.