So, what i miss so far?

Alessandro De Col

Hi, 

I havent play for a lot of time, and this is kinda a request for who wanna spend some time,  kindly fill me up on all the new things that i've missed so far.

You can just trell me " go read the patch notes" and normally i would agreed, but i think that so much have changed, that a simple "patch notes" wont help me, so for the love of cheat chatting, im opening a trhead.

I just say to my self "hey lets see what have changed" and see the new trailer in the main page and i was like..."wtf is this game now? ", in the good way :)

the Last time i was plaiyng this game:

-there was only drifters and locust lurking in the dark.

-Wolfs were my biggest enemies. 

-bee keeping was like the hardest thing to do. 

- iron was hard to make, but the best tier tools one can get

-i do remember ruins. Were one can salvage good looking furniture not obtainable otherwise, and strange gears that serve no pourpose yet. Not the green one that set the spwan point, the other one that was suppose to serve as currency of some kind( in the future, someone once told me)

-I was in the constant act of having a balanced diet to improve my stats, and food wont spoil(i see from trailer that now it does) 

aaaand... i cant really remember much more actually. i build and house, very cool one for the time, and as long as  i stay around my property i was an happy man with lifestock and vegetables and some spare good tool in the chest... do i have some painting? im not sure

the last thing i did (cause  i cant really did much more, for the time and game Ver.) was get a lot of equipment and walk in a straight line for as long as i could, try to find something new and hidden i havent seen before. usless to say, i find some cool scenery but nothing more :) so after  a while i said to my self: "im playng this game for a long time now. i better wait for some patch" and so..i think a couple of years have passed :)

Edit§: i actually still have those old wrold saved apparently , if you need to see em XD

Edited by Alessandro De Col

So much has changed! 😁😅

For one, the large map now retains the image of where you've been (instead of a radius around your current position)... and has player-chosen icons! Just right-click on a spot and a menu appears with options.

Raccoons will destroy those hard-won beehives (not as hard to find now though), and also consume ripe berries! I believe they spawn from trees, so be careful how you design your bee area.

The list goes on and on! I predict many happy hours of discovery in your future.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been playing this for about two and a half to three weeks (I've logged about 58 hours so far), so I don't have the experience of playing before the game as it is now existed, but going by what you listed in your original post and successive posts, I can comment on a few things.

In your OP you said:

the Last time i was plaiyng this game:

-there was only drifters and locust lurking in the dark.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case still. There are more powerful drifters and locusts the deeper you go though. I don't know if that was thing when you played or not.

-Wolfs were my biggest enemies. 

Dude, if you only knew the amount of times I've been killed by these things. 

-bee keeping was like the hardest thing to do. 

Haven't been able to do it yet as I've found no bees so far. If difficulty in even finding them is any indication, then yes it has been quite hard to do.

- iron was hard to make, but the best tier tools one can get

Still the case as far as I know. I'm still only on copper trying to get enough other ore to make a decent amount of tin bronze.

-i do remember ruins. Were one can salvage good looking furniture not obtainable otherwise, and strange gears that serve no pourpose yet. Not the green one that set the spwan point, the other one that was suppose to serve as currency of some kind( in the future, someone once told me)

The strange gears are likely the rusty gears I mention for use in the trading section below. I can't comment on the furniture though, as I've yet to find many ruins underground. Only a very small room with a broken translocator in it.

-I was in the constant act of having a balanced diet to improve my stats, and food wont spoil(i see from trailer that now it does) 

Eating a balanced diet is also still a thing. And yes, food does spoil now, for better or worse. See the food storage section below. 

aaaand... i cant really remember much more actually. i build and house, very cool one for the time, and as long as  i stay around my property i was an happy man with lifestock and vegetables and some spare good tool in the chest... do i have some painting? im not sure

My wife and I excavated, repaired and took up residence in one of the bigger above-ground ruins (the one that sort of looks like a rectangular coliseum). This ruin is in a large granite gravel area. There is another of the same type just a little ways away we are thinking of expanding into and connecting to our main base either above or below ground (or both). We have a large farm to the south in an area with a bunch of water (we built three plots of farmland out into the water - one for each type of nutrient the crops take - and rotate them every growing cycle).

In your second post, you said:

sure, but i was wondering about some new mechanics more than the discovery of new items. 

for istance, i notice that monsters are now live from the very first day, instead giving the player 3 days immunity like before-.

this kind of stuff

When you start a new world (and also by using /worldconfig server commands afterwards, see

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=List_of_server_commands/worldconfig

you can modify a bunch of options to make the world either more or less difficult by using the 'Customize' button at the bottom of the world creation screen. There is an option in there called 'Grace timer' that allows you to choose how many days before monsters start appearing. You can set no timer, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 10 days. Once you've started a world though, and the maximum amount of days you can have for the grace timer have elapsed (at the moment being 10), this is one of the options that can't be changed I believe (if anyone who knows more about this than me can verify that). But if monsters (or wolves) are giving you trouble, you can always change their aggressiveness with the /worldconfig server command /worldconfig creatureHostility [aggressive | passive | off].

Just remember that if you alter a /worldconfig setting this way you have to exit and then enter the world again for it to take affect.

New Systems and Mechanics (from when it sounds like you last played)

New systems and features that have possibly been implemented since it sounds like you last played are:

Seasons

Update 1.13 added seasons. From the sounds of it, this can adversely affect your crops in the winter if you have the 'Harsh Winters' setting enabled.

Mechanical Power

You can now automate some food processing and forging processes through automation such as wind mills and helvehammers.

Trading

There is now a trading system and several different types of traders that you can sell things to get rusty gears to use a currency to trade for stuff they sell. You can also get rusty gears in other ways like by panning sand or gravel, too.

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Trading

Food Spoilage and Storage, and Meals

Food now spoils, becoming inedible and turning to rot, after so many in game days, depending on the food, whether it is cooked or processed or not, and method and location of storage.

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Food_preservation

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Food_preservation/en

The biggest things to note here are the bonuses from storing food in clay vessels and in a cellar, and the making and storage of meals (which I don't know if that was a thing when you played last). Storing food in clay vessels in a cellar drastically increases the shelf-life of food you don't wish to turn into meals. Making meals recovers 50% more hunger based on what the meal is made from, and storing them in sealed crocks makes them last quite a long time.

More Features and Systems Forthcoming

There are more I'll get to once I've read more of the patch notes.

If you can tell me the exact month and year around when you last stopped playing (before you picked the game up again recently), I can take a look through the patch notes myself and see if anything else major was added since then. I am kind of interested in this myself. I don't blame you for not wanting to dig through all this, it's quite a lot. I mean, just look at this blog list https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/. Like I said, I just started playing recently, so the game right now is all I've known. I want to get up to speed on how things work as I know I am missing quite a lot at the moment. For instance, I JUST learned yesterday how signs and writing on them works. I've got the time and really like learning about this game, so I'll volunteer to read all that stuff and summarize it for you.

Edited by Robert Johnson

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.