Finding warmer climates

David Taylor

I've started in a place that rains almost constantly in warm weather, and has reached -17 in December. It has a few things going for it, but the weather isn't one of them!

I'd say I could be in either the south or north hemisphere, except the sun seems to rise in the south! The moon goes east-west (or west-east, not checked), but the sun definitely rises in the south and sets in the north.

So does that mean I should explore east/west for a warmer place? I'm not striking out on a guess because I'm moving slowly in winter and I'll need to go a long way.

Given land is free in VS I figured I could spend 6 months in each place until animals learn to die of hunger.

It might be luck but I usually started on the northern hemisphere and climate changed along the north-south-axis.

I had the same problem a while ago. Running some thousand blocks into the wrong direction until I see a clear climate difference would have cost a lot of time. I recreated the same world and teleported 10000 block towards north and towards south and looked where it is warmer. You could maybe do the same to find out. I think the temperature changes usually along the north-south-axis but I am not sure about this. You could maybe check east and west, too.

My impression is that the direction of the sun doesn't indicate the temperature direction. In my current world the sun rises at the north, is at noon at the west and sets at the south. However, the warmer regions have still been still at the south.

Beside that, I once searched for the southern hemisphere in a test world to see how the climate differs from the northern hemisphere. Like on earth, there is summer in December and winter in June. So if you live at a place where it is colder in December than in June, you are most probably at the northern hemisphere and need to go southward.

49 minutes ago, David Taylor said:

Given land is free in VS I figured I could spend 6 months in each place until animals learn to die of hunger.

What do you mean they die of hunger? I haven't have much experience yet with animal husbandry. Can they die of hunger if they are not feed for too long?

The climate changes north the south.  The sun/moon directions are just a bug.  Specifically, the climate 'repeats' in waves.  So if you go north from a temperature spawn, it will get very cold, you'll hit the arctic wall, then on the other side it will get warm, then temperate, then cold, again.  South is the same, but you hit warm first, then arctic, then temperate again, etc.   This cycle occurs in about a 50k block span, I think?   So you'll have about 20 such cycles in a 1mil world.

22 hours ago, Skru said:

What do you mean they die of hunger? I haven't have much experience yet with animal husbandry. Can they die of hunger if they are not feed for too long?

They don't die of hunger yet, that's what I was joking about. If they ever do it will be a real hassle. You'll need a big grain farm or spend a lot of time making and breaking scythes, and not have much time to do anything else. I only have about 6 sheep and they empty two troughs pretty quickly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.