Create a way to move VintagestoryData to another location and have the game read from the new location.

link12313

This already exists. I use it in all my installs, so I can have old worlds alongside newer release candidates without the installations interfering with each other.

Make a shortcut to vintagestory.exe, save it anywhere you like. Inside, specify the --dataPath and, if you want, --addModPath switches to point to wherever you want to have VS write its data to and load mods from.

For example, my StartWithCustomDataFolder shortcut contains the following:

D:\Vintagestory\1-13-4\Vintagestory.exe --dataPath D:\Vintagestory\1-13-4\Data --addModPath D:\Vintagestory\1-13-4\Data\Mods

I also have an older 1-12-13 installation folder with a similar shortcut that points to its own folder structure, and another one for 1.14 release candiates.

That's not a method anyone, heck not even the majority of potential players, is able to use.

It would be way easier for less technical affine players to just implement a dialogue about where to install it, or to not install it at all but just extract it somewhere (like most early access indie titles do i know of).

Edited by Hal13

On 12/6/2020 at 4:41 AM, Streetwind said:

This already exists. I use it in all my installs, so I can have old worlds alongside newer release candidates without the installations interfering with each other.

Make a shortcut to vintagestory.exe, save it anywhere you like. Inside, specify the --dataPath and, if you want, --addModPath switches to point to wherever you want to have VS write its data to and load mods from.

For example, my StartWithCustomDataFolder shortcut contains the following:

D:\Vintagestory\1-13-4\Vintagestory.exe --dataPath D:\Vintagestory\1-13-4\Data --addModPath D:\Vintagestory\1-13-4\Data\Mods

I also have an older 1-12-13 installation folder with a similar shortcut that points to its own folder structure, and another one for 1.14 release candiates.

I just started fiddling around with this last night and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. 

I get the "--addModPath" thing. When I open the Mods folder from the Mods Manager screen, it takes me to the "universal" mod folder. But the mods in the "addModPath" are there. Upon reflection, I guess that's a good way to think about it. The mods in the "universal" mods folder apply to all instances of Vintage Story, whereas the ones in "addModPath" only apply to that particular instance. But I digress.

I am trying to run 2 separate versions of Vintage Story - 1.13.4 and 1.14.0. I have set each shortcut to point to a different "dataPath" but they each seem to be looking at exactly the same folder. As in, if I open the "universal" Mods folder, it is the same for both. If I open the Saves folder it is the same for both.

Does this sound right?

How can I tell that I am actually accessing different "dataPath" folders?

I have another post under Discussions where I was asking about this when I first started playing. "Mod Management on a per save basis?" (https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/2787-mod-management-on-a-per-save-basis/)

Thanks for your help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.