How to put items in a crock?

Bastez

I'm sure I read that putting a fired crock in a firepit would open up a new inventory for the crock but that doesn't seem to work for me (and I can't find the place where I read it now!).

Can someone help me out?

Also, can harvested grain (eg rice) be put in a crock as it is and kept in a cellar to increase storage life (and does the crock have to be sealed to get this benefit?)

TIA

Paul

The only thing that can be put in crocks are meals. Meals are only cookable with a cooking pot. You can put a fired cooking pot into a firepit for a new inventory that will allow you to cook, but crocks do not share the same function.

6 hours ago, DrEngine said:

Cook meal in pot and when finished right-click with crock on pot. Crock'll get 4 portions of meal. The rest two portions - right click with bowl (two bowls). 

You can also right-click with another crock to get less than 4 portions given that you're pulling from a source with less than 4--it only maxes out at 4. If the crock already contains meals and the meals you're picking up are the same type, it will stack them up to 4 and combine the spoil rates, much like how other foods function.

8 hours ago, Bastez said:

Also, can harvested grain (eg rice) be put in a crock as it is and kept in a cellar to increase storage life (and does the crock have to be sealed to get this benefit?)

Grains (and most foods) are optimally placed in fired clay storage vessels, and cannot be placed in crocks. You can cook meals with grains (and most foods) however, which can be placed into crocks to extend their shelf life. Meals placed in a crock instead of a pot or bowl will last significantly longer, and you can place that crock into a cellar to extend it even further. Most meals will spoil in around 2-3 days, but with a crock and an optimal cellar you can increase that by around 10-fold. Sealing the crock will increase that by another 10-fold, resulting in meals that will keep for around 1.5 in-game years (200-300 days), assuming your month-length settings are the default. Sealing the crocks or even putting the food into crocks is not necessary to get cellar benefits, though the upsides of both crocks and sealing may be well worth your time.

Edited by Ender Riens

12 hours ago, DrEngine said:

Cook meal in pot and when finished right-click with crock on pot. Crock'll get 4 portions of meal. The rest two portions - right click with bowl (two bowls). 

Ah I see - thanks!

7 hours ago, Ender Riens said:

Grains (and most foods) are optimally placed in fired clay storage vessels, and cannot be placed in crocks...

Thank you for the detailed answer, much appreciated. Is there any difference between putting grain in a basket as opposed to a vessel (and storing in a cellar)? I'm in the early game stages and the days seem to be slipping by and I'm worried about not having enough food for winter - the technology required for cooking meals looks like it'll take some time to acquire.

8 hours ago, Bastez said:

Thank you for the detailed answer, much appreciated. Is there any difference between putting grain in a basket as opposed to a vessel (and storing in a cellar)? I'm in the early game stages and the days seem to be slipping by and I'm worried about not having enough food for winter - the technology required for cooking meals looks like it'll take some time to acquire.

yes, baskets and chests have only a single modifier for the food spoiling rate. whereas the vessel has 3: one each for grains, vegetables and everything else. you can store grain in a vessel in a deep cellar for several ingame years.

but cooking meals is accessible at the same time as clay storage vessels. and crocks only really help storing meals for long time if you have surplus of fat and/or beewax, else you can just leave it in the pot and put the pot in your cellar storage.

Edited by Hal13

12 hours ago, Hal13 said:

...but cooking meals is accessible at the same time as clay storage vessels. and crocks only really help storing meals for long time if you have surplus of fat and/or beewax, else you can just leave it in the pot and put the pot in your cellar storage.

Thank you. The only thing I can cook at present is meat and cattail root I think - I don't have metal to make a saw to make a bucket to cook other stuff.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.