My experience so far (clay-copper-age)

Over all very fun.
One problem i always have with minecraft is that once i got got somewhat bored.
With this game i feel like the progression into metal is more intricate, and detailed, i love needing to do these processes like the Bloom Oven and caldron and casts, and eventually they help you make better and more advanced stuff to make building and processing raw materials easier.
LOVE it.
I started with a monster respite for 5 days while i learnt some basics of interface with the torches and campfires and where to find food. somewhat being a hoarder until i realised i cant do anything with these things yet. I cant describe how much fun this difficult start is, Being incapable of the simplest of things like making specific tools without having to make new ones constantly needs things.
Im into copper and i STILL havent reached that point where its "EASIER" it feel steady or like a slow climb, finally getting that resin for my basic armor is the most helpful kick, where now i dont have to completely run from wolves.

(Im only to copper about to make an anvil but this is the stuff i want to express enjoyment of currently.)
Things im REALLY enjoying so far:
Everything. haha, no more specifically:

• pottery/clay sculpting
    being able to make casts for ingots and tools is somewhat cathartic, its also fun figuring out how to make stuff quicker (like four bowls) i cant wait to try the chisel tool.
  • Multiblock benches/Structures
    AH! i cant begin to talk about my enjoyment of making a multi-block structure that functions, seeing th elateszt update video was exciting.
    Having things like the bloom as the beginning way of making glass and high temperature materials is wonderful.
  • Cellars
    i know its simple but having stuff that functions like that is fantastic detail imo, would love to see stuff freeze or get frostbite in winter, possibly damaging the nutrients if not stored correctly.
  • Decrepit textures and meshes
    Fences! they are so beautiful! from the random holes to the wonky slats. BURNT OUT CAMPFIRE, the pixel art is to die for, and i have, alot of the textures are so well done, in like a low res version of a highres texture but done in such a way its clean, like hand cleaned resampling, what ever you're doing its amazing.
  • Stacking stuff inworld
    i know not everything does it but the stuff that does is so much fen to just make a stack of instead of storing it out of sight. Its stuff like that, that makes me feel way more at home in the world when making a hut of dirt and firewood haha.
  • Not everything is craftable
    Stuff like Ruin cobble i found too involved to craft tons of blocks for a house when starting out, so i've been enjoying harvesting the ruins for my home, looking out for stairs and fancy blocks to decorate my abode with. Having stuff that is only found in exploration is a must.

Theres so much more i have yet to get involved in that i know is approaching in my gameplay, but knowing they're there isnt much of a spoiler if i have no idea how to make or USE the.

Things I would llike to see:

• Clay tool press/inverted moulds
    having a simple mechanical press that can be automated later would be fantastic, injection moulds for clayslag, or rubber polimers for say shoe soles to resist slight fall damage or let you run a little faster. Mainly a press to make tool clay casts would be handy for if you add usage limits to casts. The inverted casts would just be filling a fired cast with clay then adding a bas, then after frying it, you can "squish" clay onto it by hand, OR attach it to the press which you fill with clat and it deletes the intersecting block pixels stamping the design into the clay.
  • clay sculptures
    lireally sculpting or making custom casts? so for example you didnt want to chisel all 15 of your two block tall statues individually per block, you sculpt the clay part, then push clay onto the part to make the cast, that would actually make the press even more useful, to make negativesΒ  and so on. it should probally all go in to "custom shape casts"
  • Recycling
    being able to make tools that break down other things or tools, or even just smelting parts you find into other things. loove being able to break down your old equipment like baskets back into their original materials with loss. That is helpful in a store sense, if things like casts get durability and break you could say get material that can but used in something else, or grinded up into powder for stone filler, or say things that dont have durability like pottery you just put it on an anvil and hammer it into bits. lots of possibilities (likely you already, as devs, are doing haha)

Things that terrify me:

• ALL THE THINGS.
    i enjoy that terrifying soundscape of the timestorms, the zombie turkey nightmare creatures remind me so very much of the larger versions in QUAKE, not identical just look similarly horrific haha
    There definatly should be a hell dimension you can enter, which is just the the world under a weird filter, but different materials, maybe timestorms let people see you in the other dimension and you them, maybe its a clone landscape but where players have encountered a time storm it removes the landscape when there no timestorm in the hell dimension. *shrugs*
  • Possible larger versions of the beasts that dont move far, like boss battles. i can see it being a nightmare coming across the sawblade things mother. big queen with like a humnanoid torso for a head. No idea,
  • Timestorms
    those make me want to push into a corner and hold a spear waiting for it to end. SO GOOD!! I find it tough to be that terrified in most games, so wow im surprised, again that sound does something to my fear senses. Its not panic, its FEAR.and its so fun.

Okay thats enough i've run out of steam being excited about this game. I just want to get back to playing it now. Something i havent wanted to do in forever!

Attached: screenshots. Three guesses whats under the dirt block in the crafting area. πŸ˜†

Β 

2021-01-08_22-36-23.png

2021-01-08_22-33-59.png

2021-01-08_22-43-15.png

2021-01-08_22-43-27.png

2021-01-08_22-44-20.png

2021-01-08_22-45-07.png

2021-01-08_22-43-58.png

• Like 4

Pretty much my experience too, although I think I'm a little further behind. It's probably the best survival game I've played so far.

I like to play permadeath so I'm playing an unmodded version with standard settings. My very first game I died on the second day (I think it was a fox that killed me!) so I restarted. I'm now up to about 12 hours play and just made my first copper tools (pick & propick) but found no ore from mining as yet.

Your house looks a lot nicer than mine - I have a dirt cellar with two storage jars full of crocks although only one lot is sealed and my farm is about 20 blocks away built beside a lake so I dont have to water it :) The rest of the house is a slab hotchpotch!

I'm aching to get enough copper to make a saw... that's going to be a game changer, fences, chests etc.

I'll add some screenshots, if that's ok?

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

I agree pretty much. My feeling was that after this i hit the tin-wall. I couldnΒ΄t find any tin anywhere. Now, i didn't bother to much to start with, i felt i could keep on exploring, i would find tin somewhere eventually. But it was there somewhere i found that i had done most i could do at this point, and discovered most things i could.

And, like i said before, metal smelting, knapping (even if i think more material options might be nice)Β and pottery felt pretty nice developed while other parts like textiles and glass making felt extremely simple.

On 1/9/2021 at 12:22 AM, Bastez said:

Pretty much my experience too, although I think I'm a little further behind. It's probably the best survival game I've played so far.

I like to play permadeath so I'm playing an unmodded version with standard settings. My very first game I died on the second day (I think it was a fox that killed me!) so I restarted. I'm now up to about 12 hours play and just made my first copper tools (pick & propick) but found no ore from mining as yet.

Your house looks a lot nicer than mine - I have a dirt cellar with two storage jars full of crocks although only one lot is sealed and my farm is about 20 blocks away built beside a lake so I dont have to water it :) The rest of the house is a slab hotchpotch!

I'm aching to get enough copper to make a saw... that's going to be a game changer, fences, chests etc.

I'll add some screenshots, if that's ok?

Same, my first runs of games all the way through are unmodded, i mean theres never a need to mod when you start a new game :D imo

I've gone through two copper picks, but i still cant find any copper of metal veins, i,ve been aiming to get the anvil up, but only finding about 675 copper nuggets from exploration, making three picks a propic and a shovel, and the rest in the anvil, i've found no metal veins at all, every splunking expedition has turned up sandstone tunnels
and some brown coal veins.

I did find a trader trading gears for nuggets which was lucky, but he only has 4 stacks of 16 but that was a decent amount for 8 gears, so i recommend collecting boney soil (usually at ruins) and your favourite sand/gravel and just panning it all for a day.
because that got me gears for trading, but it also got me things like scrap (scrap weaponkit) and popper spear heads/arrow heads, which have been life savers when hunting and defending.

Gathering a healthy shopping list for my next game start.

• Boney Soil
  • flax
  • copper
    into one pickaxe, anvil and saw/ingots, hammer ASAP
  • all the berry bushes
  • medium futility soil

and whatever else i've forgotten :D

house
Thanks :D its taken a while but i had the need to expand from my quickly constructed dirt hole and ruin stone was the most easily accessable.
imagine my house's insides was a layer of dirt, you can see i still have the divider wall to the farm, i just layered the stone on the outside, which gives me more ceiling and space.
Weirdly i enjoy watering my plants, i dont know why. but it give me way more of an attentive mood. i keep talking to the plants like they're characters, appoligising for not watering them when i go on long trips etc.haha i'll eventually move water into the farm when i make a bucket, having the farm in my house makes it something i can do at night if my characters not sleepy.

saw
AHHG! i know the feeling, the saw is needed for so many simple wooden things, but makes sense, but needing an anvil makes it harder to make, let alone needing copper.
I accidentally made a forge when combining blocks to see what happened, using the ruin stone, full grid one missing at the top center. so thats handy.

screenshots
YEA! go for it! i'd love to see your building and farm so far. First time builds are so interesting to me.
Β 

17 hours ago, Fredrik Blomquist said:

I agree pretty much. My feeling was that after this i hit the tin-wall. I couldnΒ΄t find any tin anywhere. Now, i didn't bother to much to start with, i felt i could keep on exploring, i would find tin somewhere eventually. But it was there somewhere i found that i had done most i could do at this point, and discovered most things i could.

And, like i said before, metal smelting, knapping (even if i think more material options might be nice)Β and pottery felt pretty nice developed while other parts like textiles and glass making felt extremely simple.

i was actually expecting to need a needle or something for crafting linen, hopefully they figure out some more involved mechanics for that stuff, im betting they're trying to figure out how to paint pottery/clay, that would be fun. lol a little pottery wheel for spinning them as you paint haha. cute.
but sometimes you just want to craft something and be done, so they could add things like looms etc for automation :D

@Bastez Copper related! I figured out how to find more copper!

Spoiler

So i found when theres copper bits on the ground then digging under that are "surface veins" dont remove surface metals without marking the location !! i just collected like 200+ units from one spot.

Β 

Edited by JRL101
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I fell down a hole and died at around 23 hours so started over. I've got plenty of copper and just making my first leather (a confusing process!). Also made a quern which is rather satisfying to use! Here's how it stands at present - I have a cellar with passage out to little farm and a small mixed woodland I've planted - there were no trees for miles around originally!

I now find I'm in need of limestone but I can't find any despite having traveled miles away. I was also shocked when a gang of drifters materialized in my house during a temporal storm, even though all the floor is slabbed (lower half) and there's no other free surface (I added that central block afterwards - it's my spawn point). I've died once (two wolves) but decided to press on forΒ  a while rather than re-start.

2021-01-20_20-40-37.thumb.png.b04291d3c3f68fa224854009c0bd2604.pngree

2021-01-20_20-33-47.png

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:07 AM, Bastez said:

Β I was also shocked when a gang of drifters materialized in my house during a temporal storm, even though all the floor is slabbed (lower half) and there's no other free surface

drifter spawning during temporal storms is more liberal, on purpose - half slabs won't stop them then.

14 hours ago, redram said:

drifter spawning during temporal storms is more liberal, on purpose - half slabs won't stop them then.

Yes, I spent the next one atop a nerd pole in the freezing cold :D

Provided the light is sufficient, is there any point in having half slabs on the floor at any time?

Β 

5 hours ago, Bastez said:

Provided the light is sufficient, is there any point in having half slabs on the floor at any time?

I believe they still prevent spawning during non-temporal-storm times.Β Β  So they're good for keeping drifters out of your cellar most of the time, I think.

1 hour ago, redram said:

I believe they still prevent spawning during non-temporal-storm times.Β Β  So they're good for keeping drifters out of your cellar most of the time, I think.

Hmmm, I've used them on all floors just in case but it makes everything a bit odd: there's a step up to get through a door and full blocks are either too high to work on or have to be set into the floor. Personally I don't think it's a very good spawning mechanic, it's too arbitrary and inexplicable. Maybe it would be better if drifters spawned at some distance (regardless of light or block type) and tried to get to the player... and maybe had the ability to destroy blocks.

Γ—
Γ—

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.