Option to Change Default World Gen Settings

Ari

I love how much we can customize world generation, but when I'm making a new world (especially for a server or a YouTube series) I typically need to generate a lot of worlds one after the other until I find a location that suits my needs. Generating a new world takes about 30 seconds - except it also takes several minutes of changing all the worldgen options every single time, and that adds up fast. An option to save your worldgen settings, either as the new default or as a new worldgen option alongside survival, creative, etc., would ultimately save hours of time (and a lot of frustration). Same goes for the starting appearance of a character. Since I can't look around each world until I've set my character appearance, and there's no easy way to change the appearance later, I have to go through and fully set up my character's appearance every single time.

None of these things are a problem if you're only doing them now and then, but I just generated about 50 worlds looking for a good spot for a new series (still haven't found it) and I'm giving up for now, because it's just too much hassle to keep setting the worldgen options and character appearance over and over and over and over again.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aira said:

I just generated about 50 worlds looking for a good spot for a new series (still haven't found it) and I'm giving up for now

Why don't you just start in a world and take looking for a nice area as part of the game? Hoping for the perfect spot for your personal preferences and that directly in your spawn area... I mean, people win the lottery once in a while, but... ;D

But yep, being able to save customized settings could be nice. ;)

If I'm just playing for fun, I might do that, but I'm trying to make a video series in a specific setting. I want that setting to be available at the spawn because:

1. If it's not at spawn, there's a chance it won't exist in the world at all, and
2. Even if it does exist, I might waste hours searching for it (and make the world save file MUCH larger than it needs to be), and
3. I have specific goals for the video series and I want to get started on them right away rather than wasting hours and hours just trying to find a starting location.

All of this can easily be solved if I can just save my worldgen options. The actual generation of a world is pretty quick and I could generate as many as I need without the wretched grind of constantly changing all those drop-down menus again and again and again.

I think I've actually requested this before, but it never made its way into the game. Until something like this is added, I will just have to keep manually changing all the settings for every world I generate, and truly it just sucks the life out of me after a few hours.

• Like 1

i always support additional options.

but tbh quite some of these settings can be set ingame after generation, as they don't effect terrain generation at all. the only ones you need to set before generating the world should be:

climate distribution,
world width (if you want the world to be really small),
world length (if you want the world to be really small),
polar-equator distance (if you want the world to be really small),
starting climate,
forestations&shrubs,
global temperature,
global precipitation,
surface copper deposit frequency,
surface tin deposit frequency,
global deposit spawn rate,

shouldn't take more than 30seconds to a minute to change these to the settings you want them to be, of course over dozens of worldgenerations that'll all mount up quite much even with that, loading the preset would potentially just take about 3-10 seconds each time depending on the way of implementation, on the other side if you know where to look you might find the files where the default playstyles (which are only different worldsettings after all) are stored and could just add your playstyle as one of them.

but especially the char presets i strongly wish for myself.

Edited by Hal13

I've been trying to find a file I can modify to change the default presets, but to no avail. The settings I change each time (for this world I'm trying to make) are:

Starting Climate (obviously needs to be set before world gen)
Forestation & Shrubs (this affects the starting area so needs to be changed in advance)
Microblock Chiseling
Grace Timer
Creature Hostility
Creature Strength
Player Health Points
Block Gravity
Food Spoilage Rate
Tool Durability
Tool Mining Speed
ProPick Node Search Radius
Surface Copper Deposit Frequency (affects starting chunks, needs to be changed in advance)
Surface Tin Deposit Frequency (affects starting chunks, needs to be changed in advance)
Global Deposit Spawn Rate (has no command to change it after world gen)
Temporal Storms
Temporal Stability
Allow Underground Farming (has no command to change it after world gen)

While it's true that many of these can be changed after the fact, some of them still need to be changed in advance, and if I'm in the customization window already it feels like it makes sense to just change everything. Maybe I'm being foolish, maybe I should only change the ones that need to be done ahead of time, check the world, and then manually change the rest with commands if I finally get a world I want.

Again, all this would be 1000x easier if I could just save custom worldgen options, but you do make a good point, I could be saving at least some time given how many worlds I'm generating by being more selective about the settings each time.

Edited by Ari
  • Like 1

I don't know what exactly you are looking for in the spawn area of a new world, but could it be an option for you to just choose the starting climate (and maybe forestation or whatever is important for what you are looking for), create the world, two-click confirm your character and then check the map? And if you find one that you like, just create a new world with the same starting climate and the same seed and only THEN customize all the other settings and your character?

Edited by junawood

On 1/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, Ari said:

I've been trying to find a file I can modify to change the default presets, but to no avail.

i literally just looked for a few seconds to find these (in them are the default values as far as i can tell):

grafik.png.c6a70bc53dc59fc85a84e67687969c8a.png

Only thing is you would have to know which numbers to use as the defaults here don't use any descriptions like rare or something, but that you should be able to get in game by entering the commands without giving a value (which gives you the value it's set to). If you change any of them, remember to make a backup before.

Edited by Hal13
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2021 at 11:08 PM, Thalius said:

I feel you pain. I suggested the same once in a conversation.

Hope that eventually that little "Save as default world settings" button makes it's way  to the bottom of the options page. 😉

Yeah that's wouldl be so helpful ! Maybe not erasing the default world setting, but at least saved as some kind of "new preset"

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.