Is there a way to enable chiseling for dirt blocks, or to mod it in?

Ari

I don't understand why soil blocks are universally not chiselable. It makes sense that they could not be chiseled with the default settings since the physics of chiseling dirt would be odd, but with the chisel option set to "most cubic blocks" why are soil blocks still excluded? If I'm building something in creative mode, sometimes being able to use the dirt texture would be helpful or even critical to a design. Like, say, if you're building a hobbit village for a YouTube series and need to have a thin layer of grass on top of part of the roof...

Anyway, whatever the reasoning, has anyone found a way to enable chiseling for dirt blocks? I've looked through the block files as well as the chisel files and not found anything. Maybe it's hardcoded? Is there any way to mod the game for this? If not, I suppose I can mod in a new set of blocks with the dirt texture but set as "stone", which presumably would work, it would just be kind of a pain, so I'm crossing my fingers there's just a tag in a file somewhere I can edit instead. :D Thank you!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 12:50 PM, Omega Haxors said:

You could make a normal block and attach the dirt texture to it, give it a recipe.
Yes you would have to mod, but it would just be a single JSON file and recipe.

but if you are modding it anyway, wouldn't it be easier to just make dirt chiselable? (No idea how the code for it looks, just curious)

38 minutes ago, Omega Haxors said:

It's literally a single JSON file and a recipe. You can't get easier than that.

i mean there are several dirts and you'd need a recipe for each of them, then you'd need to make sure the chiseled dirt actually is able to act like dirt (grass spreading onto it), else you only get several types of brown, because you cannot get the block with grass on top only the dirt...

i don't know how VS knows which block can be chiseled, if there is a flag or something adding that flag to the block might be easier than figuring out how to make a new block that grass can grow on.

4 minutes ago, Hal13 said:

i mean there are several dirts and you'd need a recipe for each of them, then you'd need to make sure the chiseled dirt actually is able to act like dirt (grass spreading onto it), else you only get several types of brown, because you cannot get the block with grass on top only the dirt...

i don't know how VS knows which block can be chiseled, if there is a flag or something adding that flag to the block might be easier than figuring out how to make a new block that grass can grow on.

If you want the game to actually treat it like dirt, yeah that's a whole can of worms that's going to take hours to figure out. Chisel blocks are a bit of a hack.

• 8 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 3:29 AM, Lostar said:

Until someone way smarter than I (or I figure out a starting point of Mod Making 101), are there any decent alternatives to a muted green grass block? I would very much love to chisel a cobblestone garden path.

Peridotite might work for a mossy texture, olivine, peridot, emerald and some copper ore blocks might partially work too.

There could be some mod making plaster dyeable, such dyed plaster could work, but at this point I'm grasping for straws.

Edited by Hal13

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.