Snowball's Chance in Heck - (A story driven Mod set)

Quixjote

Snowball's Chance in Heck!

THE STORY - PART I

ExpandedTraderTitle.png.b07daa79b266f24a940c9126c4db13b6.png

[ ---------- MOD LINK ---------- ]

Among the wastes of this frozen world, you attempt to make a life for yourself. Out of the caves you crawl to the surface, gazing into the cold sun, which has long since given adequate heat to this world. So cold... sooo cold.

Off in the distance though you see something. A merchant? In this waste? You wonder over shivering, and the merchant greets you joyously. Hector sells food in this frozen land? Wait?! You can sell fish?! All those cave fish you have been catching to survive the winter now has a use!

ExpandedTradersWithFish_Example01.png.8cb1556d476b58d41cebf4f08edffe25.png

____________________     PART II     ____________________

RicherThanDirtThumbTitle_800.png.fe549ef72ea6d1e285e20189e44bbdd3.png

[ ---------- MOD LINK ---------- ]

After finding some traders to offer you some much needed resources. You start harvesting some cobblestone remaining from the ruins. Not sure why the traders would leave the cobblestone behind, but you are glad as it is easy to build with... and stable. As you get to the bottom of the structure, and starting to get worn out, you find some dirt! Not great dirt mind you, but dirt all the same. 

Wait a second... what if you took one of those logs you bought from your [Expanded Trader] and made a Pan? Maybe you can find something useful? OMG! The dirt contains riches! Ok... Maybe not gold and silver, but Worms, Clay, and Cat Tail! In a frozen world those might as well be gold! Among all this you even find the starts of Berry Bushes! Better get those things in the greenhouses ASAP!

RicherThanDirtThumb_800.png.4fda1408658602329882a375b7cf771c.png

Version 1.0.0 Loot Table for Different Fertilities of Soil --- SPOILERS ---

Spoiler

RicherThanDirt_DropRates.PNG.1a00f307c510fccfbb28a8035b755663.PNG

THE Back-STORY

Lately been working in some UHC style worlds, and in particular the Snowball temperature settings. after MUCH exploring, I have found some oak leaves in the wild, but of course... no oak. So I thought: "You know. those merchants probably have stripped other buildings bare over the years. Look at their wheels, they are oak!"
So now the Merchants can sell "Fancy" wood planks, and all types of Logs, as well as singles of saplings...

In addition they will also now SELL Leather, and buy Small Raw Hides, because in this frozen wasteland foxes abound!

Eventually these might be combined into one mod that requires SpearAndFang's PrimitiveSurvival, but for now you can choose which version you wish to use (Obviously the one without fish doesn't require PrimitiveSurvival)

RTD Update 1.2.0 - Snowball Homestead! (Image for now... easier to read text soon)

image.thumb.png.86b69b84d51d9d38d6e08f4737222422.png

Richer Than Dirt Update 1.1.2 - August 26, 2021

• Added Changelog
  • Added Readme
  • Fixed Path location for Pan for 1.15 compatibility to allow panning of resources (The thing this mod is supposed to do originally)
  • Updated Verbiage from Compost Block to High Quality Soil in Language File
  • Increased Stack Size for Soil Upgrade Kits from 1 to 4
  • Increased Yield for Soil Upgrade Kits from 1 to 2
  • Update Verbiage for Soil Upgrade Kits to Reflect Stack Sizes
  • Updated modinfo.json to reflect 1.15 requirement

Previous Versions -- Please check ModDB for Current Versions of the Files.

Spoiler

Expanded Traders - Version 1.0.1 - Vanilla-ish
ExpandedTraders_v101.zip

Expanded Traders - Version 1.0.1 - WITH FISH (Requires Primitive Survival)
ExpandedTradersWithFish_v101.zip

Richer Than Dirt - Version 1.0.1 (Requires Primitive Survival) - Fixes Gravel/Sand Loot Drops
RicherThanDirt_v101.zip

Version 1.0.0
ExpandedTraders.zip

Richer Than Dirt - Version 1.0.0 (Requires Primitive Survival)
RicherThanDirt_v100.zip

Edited by Quixjote
  • Like 1
  • Cookie time 1

• Quixjote changed the title to Snowball's Chance in Heck - (A story driven Mod set)

I mean... I am basically writing the story of Quixjote traveling through this desolate waste, and the "parts" aren't that large... little more than a blurb to introduce the mod. 

Me Ponders, then ponders some more...

Did you want to turn it into a full story? Could make for an interesting story indeed. I would read it.

The main reasoning behind putting my mods behind one "story" is as I work on this series, I may end up combining them all into one ModPack, plus... eventual YouTube spotlights... I think other than mentioning the caves, I have been a good gnomish coyote 💜

I do want to introduce in-game lore bits, so having a full story made up in some form or another would be nice.

I still have to clean up some cheeseability from Geothermal before I post that for public usage though lol

Edited by Boten Red Wolf
((add content))
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Testing 1.15 compatibility for Richer Than Dirt, was asked in discord to post what I found here.

Pros:

• No crash to desktops when interacting with all aspects of this mod from what I've tested so far.
  • Soil kits cure over time (Didn't test if anything unusual happens when a kit finishes curing though, will report back with an edit if it finishes before this mod updates)
  • Snow piles up normally. Snow bricks craft, place, and break normally.
  • stone pulverizes to sand, sand grinds to fine sand in quern normally
  • All soils and sands can be panned normally, blocks shrink in layers normally as well.
  • No Question Mark blocks visible from what I've seen.
  • Pellets craft and age normally

Cons

• Panning or using Useful Stuff's Sluice yields no loot from any soil or fine sand blocks. Panning consumes blocks normally, Sluice block spits block back out.

verdict: Partially stable in that there's no crashes, freezes, or stuttering that I'm seeing so far but yields no loot.

Edited by DDoip
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:07 PM, Pamela Wild said:

Any chance we could get traders to buy aged beds??? I have a TON of them from ruins and no idea what to do with them.

Hey, that is a really good idea. Especially for those in Single Player and not wanting to do large builds, but just survive... 
Why stop at aged though? With how rare grass is, why not all have the chance for all the beds?

Thank you for the suggestion!

9 hours ago, DDoip said:

Testing 1.15 compatibility for Richer Than Dirt, was asked in discord to post what I found here.

Pros:

• No crash to desktops when interacting with all aspects of this mod from what I've tested so far.
  • Soil kits cure over time (Didn't test if anything unusual happens when a kit finishes curing though, will report back with an edit if it finishes before this mod updates)
  • Snow piles up normally. Snow bricks craft, place, and break normally.
  • stone pulverizes to sand, sand grinds to fine sand in quern normally
  • All soils and sands can be panned normally, blocks shrink in layers normally as well.
  • No Question Mark blocks visible from what I've seen.
  • Pellets craft and age normally

Cons

• Panning or using Useful Stuff's Sluice yields no loot from any soil or fine sand blocks. Panning consumes blocks normally, Sluice block spits block back out.

verdict: Partially stable in that there's no crashes, freezes, or stuttering that I'm seeing so far but yields no loot.

Alright. we should be up. RTD 1.1.2

On 8/26/2021 at 12:42 PM, Quixjote said:

Alright. we should be up. RTD 1.1.2

One small issue I've encountered, along with a friend; when we take dirt from a low fertility grass covered dirt and attempt to pan it, instant world crash.  If we empty the pan by putting it down in the world and picking it back up, then trying to take another bit of dirt and pan it from the same partial block, crash again.  Not entirely sure why, and I can't find other soil types right now to test it on- but something to sort out I suppose?  Dirt without the grass worked fine.

• Like 1

The logic behind how farmland drops in RTD is also different than Copygirl's. Hers calculates a chance of if it will drop, where mine always drops, but at a lower quality soil, as well as encourages using the right tool for the job as anything other than a shovel returns chunks of dirt, which may or may not return a full blocks worth; effectively completing the entire chain of robbing soil of it nutrients, as well as amending it back to Terra Preta over time. - Again, something that was/is needed where the only soil in the world is what you find at ruins, and that is almost always low-quality soil.

I am working towards a modConfig. In addition to having individual elements configurable, I also want to add in the ability to work in presets based on the world playstyle (since this was originally designed around a world for the "Snowball Earth" climate.) I am not there yet however 💜

And yes, part of the modConfig is so that it plays nice with other mods. I am still looking into if I can instead of just giving the option to enable/disable it to have it look to see if another mod that is similar (or maybe I include a list) and the user can choose which mod takes over for that element; instead of having to go into modconfig ever time then, say for one world you want RTD to take over Farmland mechanics, but in another you want Copygirl's "Farmland Drops Soil" mechanics. I am still newer to the code aspect of modding, so that is still a lofty goal for me.

Edited by Quixjote

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.