Multiple instances of the server on the same Machine.

tony Liberatto

I see server.sh as something for people who want a simple tool to run one server with minimum fuss, not full fledged admin tool.

Yes, that's the scope. And it is of course a console interface and not a fully flegded and feature-rich GUI. But as Tyron mentioned, the script should be, let's say, encapsulated, being at least possible to handle multiple instances/installations. But I think the script already is encapsulated this way and I only need to test and describe how to separate the custom options that were chosen for each install. This documentation should prevent experiments of users to end with frustration and complains.

On 3/26/2018 at 12:08 AM, skol said:

@TyronYour wish is my command. Uploaded the current script with some tweaks and provided documentation, see https://github.com/zkol/vsadmin

The documentation should explain e.g. how to run multiple instances on different ports in parallel. Documentation how to install different versions in parallel will follow.

After this I'm going to split the script to create a basic (aka "more minimal") version that uses per default a data path relative to the script location as Tryon suggested (using internally the --dataPath arg to make this happen).

• home/vintagestory/1.5.2
    • server => here should reside the script of v1.5.2
    • data => this would be derived from script location: ../data
  • /home/vintagestory/1.5.1
    • server => here should reside the script of v1.5.1
    • data => this would be derived from script location: ../data

I think the basic script could maybe offer a stable backend interface for other tools like the more powerful remote web GUI that @Milo Christiansen announced. I think it would be helpful if this basic script would pass every invocation parameter transparently to VintagestoryServer.exe in a way that overrides the default parameters.

Thank you @skol! I'll ship the 1.5.2 stable version with the new server.sh, plus parts of the readme.md, plus the old version of the server.sh for safety.
The more basic script sounds good!

Archived