Just a tiny issue with the new rough door

Heiress

I feel like I'm placing it back in its spot more than I am actually using it, it breaks way too much.

I get that maybe it needs some balance to set it aside from normal doors, but I feel this would be better represented with material cost than having it literally fall apart half the time;

Or at least lower the chance of it doing so by a good amount.

• Like 4

I found myself slightly amused by the fact the door broke. At some point it became kind of a meme. I placed the door down, tried to close it and it instantly broke again. Happened a few times in a row.

Either repairing the door or being able to use it longer but it breaks into sticks upon failure would both be fun options to me. To be fair I would find it even funnier if it just exploded in a bundle of sticks rarely instead of just dropping the door.

• Haha 1

Agreed. It's a nice door I prefer to use in some places, due to the better fit of the rough look, but it breaks a bit too often. Logically it would make more sense that the door would break after a certain amount of uses, instead of having a percentage chance of breaking. A door is a door, if properly constructed it should have a life span directly related to the material used to construct it and not just randomly fall off the hinges.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Heiress said:

I feel like I'm placing it back in its spot more than I am actually using it, it breaks way too much.

I get that maybe it needs some balance to set it aside from normal doors, but I feel this would be better represented with material cost than having it literally fall apart half the time;

Or at least lower the chance of it doing so by a good amount.

Yup, 10% chance to break (though I actually expected that to mean that they are destroyed and not just fall off) for a door means it breaks about every fifth time you use it both ways. That's why I'll most likely never use it. You either really need a door and then breaking every fifth time you leave+enter is either annoying or a real problem if you need to close it really fast when something is chasing you, or you find other ways to build and/or just wait until you get proper doors.

But I would have really liked an option for doors, simply for a different style of doors to build with. Of course ones that don't break. ;) Well, at least you can use them for building if you just use them for walls and don't open/close them. :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brady_The said:

Agreed. It's a nice door I prefer to use in some places, due to the better fit of the rough look, but it breaks a bit too often. Logically it would make more sense that the door would break after a certain amount of uses, instead of having a percentage chance of breaking. A door is a door, if properly constructed it should have a life span directly related to the material used to construct it and not just randomly fall off the hinges.

For what it's worth, this is doable but not quite as easy as it sounds. In VintageStory, blocks don't have any sort of "memory" without a blockentity. This can be cheated a little bit (use block variants and orientations in clever ways), but generally speaking any time you want a block to store any amount of data other than its mere existence, you need a block entity. Doors do a cheat with this- when you open a door, it literally replaces the closed door with an open door. The code as it stands simply provides a chance, on that interaction, to instead break the door. Having it do a "count" system would require a block entity to keep track of the number of times you interacted with the door, which would be... well, not that much work, but it wouldn't be quite as easy as just modifying a value in a JSON to be, say, 5% instead of 10%.

The idea of having there be a "it's about to break" version of the door is easier, but still requires some effort. Namely, the "bad roll, break" portion of the door-opening code would have to also check for a "if being broken from opening and there's a value of 'broken door to replace with', replace, if not then break" condition. Then of course you need to model the "about to break" door and all of that.

Probably just easier to modify the percentage in the JSON. In blocktypes\wood\door:

breakOnTriggerChanceByType: {
			"door-log-*": 0.10
		}

Modify that to be whatever percentage you want it to be. You'd be spending more time setting up the boilerplate for a mod than you would be making the change.

• Thanks 1

I honestly can't fathom why the door breaks so often- if at all. I've made shelters in the woods IRL for fun before, using grass and sticks to fashion a door. Several years, door never broke. Made from simple materials it can still be durable; unless a Seraph viciously slams a door shut each time they use it. 

• Like 1

Yeah I agree, door durability feels like an odd mechanic, but it also shouldn't just break IMO; I think using percent chances for this is bad, RNG likes to mess with me here;

Not to mention the fact that the rough fence gates never break and work just as well as the door in question.

• Like 1

I like the idea of the materials that you use for construction actually having significance beyond aesthetics. I just think that this is probably both too mild and too inconvenient at the same time. The two-step downgrade, with the potential to repair the "damaged" door with a stick, and a damaged door breaking just yielding a stick or two (not sufficient to rebuild the door), alongside a lower chance of this happening, would be more functional to me.

Then again, I'm also the type that would prefer (slow!) degrade of building blocks exposed to particular elements depending on the block, with the option to repair. It'd be interesting to leave a base behind and watch it be overtaken by the elements, y'know?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 9:59 AM, Sengorn_Leopard said:

I honestly can't fathom why the door breaks so often- if at all. I've made shelters in the woods IRL for fun before, using grass and sticks to fashion a door. Several years, door never broke. Made from simple materials it can still be durable; unless a Seraph viciously slams a door shut each time they use it. 

It's probably more of a player frustration mechanic to motivate advancing to an actual door that doesn't break.

Personally, I used the gate equivalent until I had a saw to make proper doors.  Looks like I'll continue that practice after I've upgraded to 1.15.x (looks like x.3 is the final release).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.