Minimap Bug (?)

Valaraucy

It's not related to macs, its how the minimap is currently designed, it only shows the currently loaded chunks. There is no map persistence mechanic yet. Its a brand new feature and the 1.6 update already dragged on for too long, so it's capabilities is fairly limited.

• 1 year later...

Soo... Is there going to be anything one coudl do about it at it now? I'm having the same 'issue' where there is no 'map'. Just the minimap and that's it. I only got the game today but I have to say it is absolutely fantastic. A few bugs here and there, but hey, nothing is perfect and that's just fine! Progress is progress. Keep up the good work!

55 minutes ago, Edgars De Bruins said:

Soo... Is there going to be anything one coudl do about it at it now? I'm having the same 'issue' where there is no 'map'. Just the minimap and that's it. I only got the game today but I have to say it is absolutely fantastic. A few bugs here and there, but hey, nothing is perfect and that's just fine! Progress is progress. Keep up the good work!

You mean that you can't access the Map over the M button or that you can only see a certain radius around you? If first, try looking in your controls if your keybindings are right and if those are you could also look at your settings as there is an option that turns the map off.

Well I can open the map. The waypoint system is also working, they show up on the map. However, there is only a small radius of the map visable at all times. The size of the minimap. Every inch explored only appears on the big map while it is opened. The moment I close it and open again, it has reset to the area I am currently in (The size of the minimap which seems to always be loaded.) I had followed a person on YouTube that did a 'playthrough' of the game and the last upload was this month. In his videos, for whatever reason, his entire map showed a much bigger area. Not a minimap sized chunk. I'm just curious if that's a bug on perhaps my software, the file I have installed or something in this current version? I've re-installed the game by now and made a new world but it's the same. 

Also, I should note that while the map is open, if I right-click and hold, then drag around to view other areas, the moment an explored chunk of the map falls behind the border, it is deleted off the visable map. Kind of like... You have a canvas with a painting in it. You hold it and move it around inside the borders of the canvas. At the end when you release the mouse, everything of the painting that went outside the borders has been wiped off and you're left with only the chunk you kept inside. 

1 hour ago, Edgars De Bruins said:

Also, I should note that while the map is open, if I right-click and hold, then drag around to view other areas, the moment an explored chunk of the map falls behind the border, it is deleted off the visable map. Kind of like... You have a canvas with a painting in it. You hold it and move it around inside the borders of the canvas. At the end when you release the mouse, everything of the painting that went outside the borders has been wiped off and you're left with only the chunk you kept inside.

hmmm would you mind sharing some screenshots? a before and after draging the map would really help to make the problem clear.

Alright I've taken four screenshots. All four while the map is open. First one is just walking a straight line, revealing the map to the extent of the walk. Second and third one is hold-right-click and dragging it to the upper corner. Fourth one is pulling it back. And there you have it, explored map is reset. 

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Edited by Edgars De Bruins
Grammatical error.

Allright, there are 2 abnormalitys here.

1. is that your map seems to reveal in a square, mine does about a circle20200310003241_1.thumb.jpg.0d8f31ab1b40d51865dd97402498c4d5.jpg

2. is that you actually have to move the map so that the revealed spaces are starting to go back to brown, at least i think thats unusual since i normaly do not run with the map open (holes in the ground you know?)

As for the map not staying visible, that one is intended. There is, at least for now, no way to keep the map revealed. as you can see on the waypoints i allready explored quite a bit but only a radius around me is revealed, while it takes time getting used to, it's in no way making you lose orientation as long as you use the waypoint function and mark some landmarks. If you look at my map i have quite a few black stars right? Those are mountains, big caves or interesting rock formations. I also mark bigger bodies of water or biomes that reach a certain sizes and are clearly different from their surroundings.

Edit: Just an afterthought, i don't know how far away chunks load from your position (should be viewable in the settings) but with an low enough number it might start beeing a square instead of a circle.

Edited by Kaelty
got an idea

Huh.. You have a point there, I never considered that the revealing part being square could be an abnormality. Well, I never noticed it, to be honest. 

Well sure I know it's not really an issue and I fully agree there. I just didn't know if it was intended or not, untill now. 

As for the parts remaining revealed, or in this case, not.. I've also noticed that when I walk around and re-visit the parts I've explored before and open the map, some traces of where I walked could still be seen on the map. However they are kind of like a broken, chisled off version of a trail. Again, not really an issue because you're right, the waypoint system is more than enough to keep track as to what is where, and therefor find your way around. 

I indulged in this mainly because I noticed that the person I followed a few videos of, on Vintage Story, had his map opened and closed several times and his radius was insanely huge on the map. It was also, as you so keenly observed, a circle instead of a square like mine. But his, for whatever reason, remained showing explored regions. Untill he logged out and back in, at which point it's reset. It's just a curiousity. 

Huh.. I didn't consider the chunk loading option could affect how much of the map is revealed. I'll test it out and see if that changed anything. 

Edit: You're right, it does affect that. Changing the view distance from 45 to 128 changed the revealed map area to a bigger size and changed the shape to a circle. I'm feeling quite stupid for not thinkig of that, but happy nonetheless for the fact that you mentioned it. Thank you! 

Edited by Edgars De Bruins
Conclusion.

4 hours ago, Edgars De Bruins said:

Edit: You're right, it does affect that. Changing the view distance from 45 to 128 changed the revealed map area to a bigger size and changed the shape to a circle. I'm feeling quite stupid for not thinkig of that, but happy nonetheless for the fact that you mentioned it. Thank you! 

You're welcome 😁

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can attest to that on multiplayer. The host can see the markers they place but anyone that joins their server and places a marker for themselves seems to not show up at all on the map. Though the LOG does promp that the waypoint has been added. 
Windows 7 Ultimate. 

16 minutes ago, Edgars De Bruins said:

I can attest to that on multiplayer. The host can see the markers they place but anyone that joins their server and places a marker for themselves

Does the host see the markers that other players try to place?  So basically all markers placed by anyone go to the same waypoint file, and only the host can see them?

The host can't see them either. The host, can only see their own added waypoints. Any waypoint added by a guest is not seen by the host, nor the guest. Basically the guests can't see any waypoints being added, period. The Host can still see their own. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.