Upper slabs prevent drifter spawn + food cellar

CubeNick

So, during my first temporal storm, my dark food cellar got filled with Drifters. Lesson learned, I slabbed the floor to prevent them from spawning. Since i used slabs on the lower-half of the block, my food vessles are either sunk in the floor or levitating half a block in the air.

Since i did it this way following my "minecraft background", does anyone has any idea if Vintage Story works the same or if Drifters need a full solid block to spawn on, and so i could use upper-half slabs to spawn-proof both my cellar and other areas?

Speaking of food cellars, I'm using all the wiki page tips, so my cellar is dark and has no door, but two hay blocks i remove every time I need to go in. Since the access is indoors, it's pretty safe from daylight anyways, so my qustion is: would a door and an oil lantern/regular latern really make a drastic impact on the general performance of the cellar, or would it be ok?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I can figure out, the best possible base spoilage rate (i.e., inside a generic container) is 0.25. To get this, you need every block of the walls/ceiling/floor to be a soil-, stone-, or ceramic-type block. Putting in a single, standard wood door that is positioned so as to not let in sunlight changes the rate to 0.26, which as far as I'm concerned is not a big enough difference to warrant the inconvenience of breaking and replacing blocks every time I want to fetch something out of storage.

And as Malfiros said, artificial light sources do not affect spoilage, so go ahead and light up your cellar.

Note that slabs won't prevent spawning during temporal storms, since during storms drifters can actually spawn in mid-air if there is no other suitable spawning space; the only preventative is having the space be physically too small for them to spawn into (via creative use of chiselling, for example).

Edited by Philtre

On 9/23/2021 at 11:56 AM, CubeNick said:

Since i did it this way following my "minecraft background", does anyone has any idea if Vintage Story works the same or if Drifters need a full solid block to spawn on, and so i could use upper-half slabs to spawn-proof both my cellar and other areas?

Upper half slabs do not prevent spawns in Minecraft, and do not prevent spawns in Vintage Story either.

Spawn logic cares about having a solid surface, where "solid" is defined as being level with the face of a full block. An upper half slab is level with the top of a full block. Therefore, monsters are perfectly happy to spawn on it - in both games.

You're looking for lower half slabs, which are not level with the surface of a full block. This will prevent spawns in Minecraft, and it will also prevent spawns in Vintage Story.

...Except during temporal storms, where Drifters ignore almost all spawn rules and will quite literally appear out of thin air if that's what they have to do to get to you.

Edited by Streetwind

On 10/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, Philtre said:

As far as I can figure out, the best possible base spoilage rate (i.e., inside a generic container) is 0.25. To get this, you need every block of the walls/ceiling/floor to be a soil-, stone-, or ceramic-type block.

You can also get this effect with a wood room if the ambient temperature is 8 degree or less.

On 10/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, Philtre said:

Note that slabs won't prevent spawning during temporal storms, since during storms drifters can actually spawn in mid-air if there is no other suitable spawning space; the only preventative is having the space be physically too small for them to spawn into (via creative use of chiselling, for example).

Keep in mind that drifters can walk into spaces that are 1.5 blocks tall. I think the player can too if crouching.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 1:04 AM, Philtre said:

As far as I can figure out, the best possible base spoilage rate (i.e., inside a generic container) is 0.25

it's possible to get it lower that's the best i was able to up to now: grafik.png.b906187f4b80464e1754e3a416a221ed.png

though i'm sure that cellar could still be improved, it's not even closed by a trapdoor

On 10/20/2021 at 10:05 PM, Windego said:

Do note that you can spawn-proof a given room or even a 1x2 box for temporal storms as a panic room. Placing straw bed on the ground blocks, so you have to squeeze your way into the box, will prevent even temporal storm drifters from spawning in your panic room.

actually in a temporal storm that would not suffice to guarantee safety, as they can spawn anywhere where their hitbox (slightly smaller than 1x1x1 blocks) doesn't collide with any solid object, even in midair even in the same position as the player character.
you could build a temporal storm proof panic room (not my invention) though, take a solid block like stone (possible you need two haven't counted the voxels), chisel it into a 2 block tall C (or better two L where the one above is mirrored), place blocks around it, the drifters cannot spawn inside as the chiseled blocks aren't considered hollow, even though the player character can stand inside it, depending on thickness of floor and ceiling potentially even without sneaking., theoretically you even could do a nice interior for it as all chiseled blocks are considered occupying the whole block for spawning attempts, heck you could do a completely safe base, though it kinda is a bit exploity...

7 hours ago, Hal13 said:

actually in a temporal storm that would not suffice to guarantee safety, as they can spawn anywhere where their hitbox (slightly smaller than 1x1x1 blocks) doesn't collide with any solid object, even in midair even in the same position as the player character.
you could build a temporal storm proof panic room (not my invention) though, take a solid block like stone (possible you need two haven't counted the voxels), chisel it into a 2 block tall C (or better two L where the one above is mirrored), place blocks around it, the drifters cannot spawn inside as the chiseled blocks aren't considered hollow, even though the player character can stand inside it, depending on thickness of floor and ceiling potentially even without sneaking., theoretically you even could do a nice interior for it as all chiseled blocks are considered occupying the whole block for spawning attempts, heck you could do a completely safe base, though it kinda is a bit exploity...

I've held onto a storm proof box design for as long as I remember playing this game and it's never once allowed a drifter to spawn inside it.
And as of 1.13 I was making a panic room rather than a two block wide box. All you need to do is adding either a pletra of trapdoors as your floor and ceiling (not roof), or beds as flooring and trapdoors above,  and none will ever spawn there. You'll have to force your character to crawl into it and stay in a crawling stance all the time, but you can effectively add some things in said room to keep you busy like a firepit and some items to cook crock pots or an oven.
But you are right about the hitboxes. So long as their hitbox allows it, they will spawn. That's why you need to make sure you are in a constant crawl space, essentially.

It'll be ugly.. It'll be uncomfortable.. But you can make a room that's storm drifter proof and still allow you to do certain things if you don't want to sleep it off, or in some cases, can't sleep it off.

Edited by Windego

i mean i made it in creative because it's only prove of concept, but you actually can make that "box" kinda spacious here's a spawn- and stormproof bedroom:

2021-11-14_16-43-26.png

btw. in earlier versions nightly spawning attempts happened only on completely solid blocks, upper slabs prevented spawns in them. but even then storm spawning happened in midair.

Edited by Hal13

17 hours ago, Hal13 said:

it's possible to get it lower that's the best i was able to up to now: grafik.png.b906187f4b80464e1754e3a416a221ed.png

Note the line at the bottom "Other: 0.26X". That's the base spoilage rate I was talking about (it also applies to chests and other not-specifically-for-food containers). I haven't seen it go below 0.25, even in a doorless, completely-enclosed all-stone room.

5 minutes ago, Philtre said:

Note the line at the bottom "Other: 0.26X". That's the base spoilage rate I was talking about (it also applies to chests and other not-specifically-for-food containers). I haven't seen it go below 0.25, even in a doorless, completely-enclosed all-stone room.

i'm sure i had that at 0.22 in one world, but i can't find it anymore... too many bases over too many worlds and too many versions...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.