Game crashes on startup

Jeff Field

What should I do? Here's the log...

Running on 64 bit Windows with 16 GB RAM 
Version: v1.15.6 (Stable)9/26/2021 2:14:23 PM: Critical error occurred
System.NotSupportedException: Your graphics card supports only OpenGL version 140 (1.40 - Intel Build 9.17.10.4459), but OpenGL version 330 is required.
Please check if you have installed the latest version of your graphics card driver. If they are, your graphics card may be to old to play Vintage Story.(Note: In case of modded gameplay with modded shaders, the mod author may be able to lower the OpenGL version requirements)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.Shader.EnsureVersionSupported(String versionUsed, String ownFilename)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.Shader.EnsureVersionSupported()
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ShaderProgram.Compile()
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ShaderRegistry.loadRegisteredShaderPrograms()
   at _8ECD8nssQiL9uSD9vAFETn80rqE._rmyLWzkvmAvUIxXdDOXkyxGAvpV()
   at _OFQC3uq7py4uKCOs4t6C8nywANR._ClADUnYQHrAMqPUj22yJuSx9iUh(Single )
   at _8ECD8nssQiL9uSD9vAFETn80rqE._YxuqUIHpNderNcZTb6YFhogmWOS(Single )
   at _8ECD8nssQiL9uSD9vAFETn80rqE._7qo1BKsjBXLbbifnICE8jHmvIH9(Single )
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseRenderFrame(Double elapsed, Double& timestamp)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.DispatchRenderFrame()
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
   at _AP7WmUsyUYdtMlYkY1BnRzdg2ff._hdLzsTvaMxWzkcSVpoYJjLUlwAJ(_JsdNdoNt0XlKjq0tdupAM4oO6wn , String[] )
   at _0VK7uR5tb5rsnOGVuF83gJuGw9D._hdLzsTvaMxWzkcSVpoYJjLUlwAJ(ThreadStart )
-------------------------------

36 minutes ago, Jeff Field said:

What should I do?

You could start by reading the error message you got :)

No, really, I'm not mocking you, I'm serious. Look at it. It says right there: "Your graphics card supports only OpenGL version 140 (1.40 - Intel Build 9.17.10.4459), but OpenGL version 330 is required. Please check if you have installed the latest version of your graphics card driver. If they are, your graphics card may be too old to play Vintage Story."

That's clear and unambiguous: Vintage Story says that your computer cannot run the game.

This leads to two possible options. Number one: VS is right. In which case there is nothing we can do to help you. However, you will get a refund on your purchase if you open a support ticket and explain your problem.

Option two: VS thinks wrong. This can have any number of reasons. You could have no proper video driver, or just a very old one, installed. You could have a hardware failure in your video card. You could have a laptop with switchable graphics, and your laptop doesn't detect that it should switch when Vintage Story launches. Or even something else entirely. Each possible reason has its own solution, but you must first determine which it is.

Start by looking at the minimum system requirements, particularly the "graphics" bit, and compare it to your computer's specs. If you don't know your computer's specs or how to find them, ask someone who can help you IRL.

Edited by Streetwind

Before uninstalling anything, continue examining the status quo for clues.

Look in %appdata%\vintagestorydata\logs\client-main.txt and check the first few lines of that file. It should list the graphics card the game identified. For example, on my end it looks like this:

22.9.2021 11:49:47 [Notification] Client logger started.
22.9.2021 11:49:47 [Notification] Game Version: v1.14.7 (Stable)
22.9.2021 11:49:47 [Notification] Screens:
22.9.2021 11:49:47 [Notification] 0: {X=0,Y=0,Width=2560,Height=1440}, \\.\DISPLAY1 (primary)
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] Graphics Card Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 456.71
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] Graphics Card Renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] Graphics Card ShadingLanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] Cairo Graphics Version: 1.17.3
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] OpenAL Version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.16.0
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] C# Framework: .net Framework 4.0.30319.42000
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] OpenTK Version: 3.1.0 (A set of fast, low-level C# bindings for OpenGL, OpenGL ES and OpenAL.)
22.9.2021 11:49:50 [Notification] Start discovering assets

As you can see, it reports a Geforce GTX 1060 6GB, which is correct for my computer.

Also, open your start menu and type "dxdiag". Run the program it finds. This will give you a system overview. Graphics card stuff is on the second tab. Vintage Story is an OpenGL game, not a DirectX game, but dxdiag is still a source of information about your computer and can report problems if there are any.

If either the VS logfile or dxdiag (or both) do not correctly report the graphics card and/or driver you believe you should have, that's an indication that something is wrong.

After that, you can start trying to replace the driver and such things.

Hmmm... now I gotta figure out how to grab it.

Do NVIDIA drivers include OpenGL?

NVIDIA supports OpenGL and a complete set of OpenGL extensions, designed to give you maximum performance on our GPUs. NVIDIA continues to support OpenGL as well through technical papers and our large set of examples on our NVIDIA Graphics SDK.

Well, shit! Crashed again. This time it says...

Running on 64 bit Windows with 16 GB RAM 
Version: v1.15.6 (Stable)9/27/2021 4:06:29 PM: Critical error occurred
System.NotSupportedException: Your graphics card supports only OpenGL version 140 (1.40 - Intel Build 9.17.10.4459), but OpenGL version 330 is required.

So, how can I get version 330. I don't see any version option on the NVidea site. https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.