Carts

TheBrian

So, I haven't seen this discussed but haven't scoped the entire forum so apologies if it's been covered. Pull behind carts for heavily expanded inventory space at the first of speed. Maybe with a right click to drop mechanic. And if introducing larger livestock maybe reigning could be a thing with cattle or horses.

• Like 7

Long distance is even more of an issue with carrying capacity. I'm not sure how you play the game no offense intended but my friends I play with, the further we go the less inventory space we have. This is a way to expand carrying capacity without exploiting the fact that a person couldn't just haul that much around.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can't really think that every player plays the same style as you. I personally prefer huuuuge biomes and climate zones. So I have to get around quite a bit to collect all the different types of resources needed for steel production.

I needed to write a new recipe for a bigger backpack, because my girlfriend and me where so frustrated because of small inventory space on long travels. 

A handcart should be able to step ub one block, if the block behind of that one is the same level. So you could climb slopes with about a 22.5° angle. On 45° slopes, the cart could just roll back down after a while, get stuck or fall over and break to pieces, depending on tier (make it more stable and give it a few more slots, when using metal plates to reenforce the cart).

Using more energy, making you slower, using both your hand, preventing you from jumping, all that in trade of another 20-30 inventory slots? Shut up and take my money! Deal!

You could place your cart near the location you'd like to explore and return whenever you want to store your precious ores. On PvP servers, those things could even be raidable, making it more dangerous to carry around large amounts of stuff at once, but giving you the option to spare you an extra travel. 

Does it sound that wrong? And a possibility of a nomadic lifestyle sounds quite attractive to me. If I could, I would. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Screwy said:

I needed to write a new recipe for a bigger backpack, because my girlfriend and me where so frustrated because of small inventory space on long travels. 

There's plenty of mods that already do that, you might want to take a look at them.

Already done so. Mostly too overpowered or including annoyances, that can't be switched of. Writing a recipe and integrating it into the game files was the easiest way of getting exactly what I needed. What that can't do is some kind of nerfing it to have a big inventory. That's where carts come in! 

More space is fine, but I want not only to work for it, I also demand (yea, sounds strange, but keep with me) to be punished for carrying a whole shipload at once. Everything else would feel like cheating.

But just accepting the limited space, makes adventures a more and more sad event. Every time you just start to explore a bit farther than your garden, you start collecting all the stuff you don't have at home. After half a day, you've got much more than you can carry home. Then travel tree days home, another tree days back, just to grab your stuff, return and back repeat the procedure. Not cool. Not emersive. Not motivating.

Compromise: Carts.

Enough nerfing to annoy players, so that they use it only if they have to, but still giving them the chance to play the game in exactly the way they want. That would be my approach to every design decision, regarding new "quality of life" technology. 

• 1 month later...

My and the people's I play with experience is when you have to go longer distances you need more space plain and simple. We don't want bigger backpacks because they feel exploitative so the pull behind cart seems good. If your experience is different my only guess is you gather only what you need and take multiple trips? Not sure but yeah if you're coming back to your base without a full inventory you might rethink your travel :P

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.