Storage Update - Moving Piles/Urns/Barrels

Plr943

Special input for picking up storage containers.

Slowed, unable to jump, climb, sit, swim, or interact while carrying container. Right click to place container back down.

New Craftable Cart Entity - Not allowed to be placed in inventory or dropped as an item - exists only as an entity and crafted outside of the player's crafting grid (multiblock structure/external blueprint). Dragged by the player only for now, similar penalties to carrying containers. Movement difficult offroad. Can hold X containers or piles of any type with no inventory of its own.

New piles - Logs, ore, rocks, blocks, dirt, sticks,  etc.

Chest/basket/urn/crate nerf - Disallow bulky items from being put into containers. Containers only for special misc items, food, seeds, etc. In general have it be more space efficient to use piles than chests for storage on applicable items.

New wheelbarrow entity for moving piles, can be picked up while empty like a container.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

There's mods that do quite a bit of what you're looking for.  Now sure how much (if any) will eventually be incorporated into the base game.  There's a ton of other stuff that needs to be done first.  Check out the roadmap for an indication of how much is left to implement.

Not quite. I know what's in the roadmap, and I know about the storage movement mod. I would argue there should be a storage update added to the base game before adding fishing or gemcutting. It's a fundamental part of the game and should be built upon earlier rather than later for future development convenience. A way to move items in bulk, reason to store materials immersively via piles, and QoL for moving containers and other objects are core game functions not side content. I understand a cart/wagon would take the most time to develop and is difficult to get right. The cart/wheelbarrow is the least important out of these changes, but a cart after a horse/animal update for hitching would be ideal additions.

I do not think there are "tons of other stuff that needs to be done first", but if Tyron thinks otherwise then I understand. I suggested this assuming it may fit his vision of the game and that he had not thought about it yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

I think the carry a container with your hands should be added to base game, but slinging a storage container on your back as added inventory is a bit OP.  Part of the challenge is inventory management and increasing your inventory by up to 16 spaces reduces that challenge dramatically.

I'd kick a kitten to be able to pick up and move a storage container.  Sky Saga let you do this, and it was *AMAZING*.  I miss Sky Saga.  Now I'm sad.

Carry Capacity allows you to pick up containers.  Once picked up you can sling it over your back.  If you don't like that second part, you can elect not to use that feature. 

I personally don't like it having experimented with it on a 2,000 block journey to gather limestone and whatever other rare resources were along the way.  Decided the added capacity reduced the inventory management challenge too much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I think the carry a container with your hands should be added to base game, but slinging a storage container on your back as added inventory is a bit OP.  Part of the challenge is inventory management and increasing your inventory by up to 16 spaces reduces that challenge dramatically.

I agree, I didn't suggest being able to put them on your back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.