Item despawn time change

daretmavi
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

• Solution
3 hours ago, daretmavi said:

is it possible to change the despawn time of the dropped items?

1. Inside your VS install directory, go to ...\assets\survival\entities
  2. Open item.json in a text editor, and chenge the despawn time to your liking. It must be given in seconds. Save and close.
  3. Run modmaker.exe inside the VS install directory. Wait and follow the instructions until complete.
  4. Open item.json again, and change the value back to the default 600. Save and close.

You now have a mod that changes your item despawn time to the value you want. It is likely already where it needs to be, and you'll be able to activate it from the mod manager in the game's main menu.

If you suffer from performance issues when running that mod - well, redram already explained why :P But in singleplayer it should be okay, so long as you don't choose an utterly ridiculous value.

If you just want to keep your stuff from despawning when you die, by the way, it would be way easier and less problem-prone to just set /worldconfig deathPunishment keep instead of fiddling with despawn times.

• Like 1

Thanx @Streetwind, I'll try it.

17 hours ago, Streetwind said:

If you just want to keep your stuff from despawning when you die, by the way, it would be way easier and less problem-prone to just set /worldconfig deathPunishment keep instead of fiddling with despawn times.

This is not what I want. I want some death punishment, or I would be reckless.

I just don't like despawning, but I Understand the issue on server with too many thing on the ground.
It is extreme annoying, if you have to run back for your item, only to find out they are gone 😡. You go, because you expect there are items waiting for and you don't want to loose them, just because ....

I this case, knowing that you loose items on death right away is better, than expect to get them back.
Downside is, if you die because of some lag, or stupid misstake, than ... rage quit 🤬

Better and more immersive way would be to have a player Skeleton lying on ground with items in it (like chest). Baskets and sacks could lie around (again like chests with items).

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, Streetwind said:
  1. Inside your VS install directory, go to ...\assets\survival\entities
  2. Open item.json in a text editor, and chenge the despawn time to your liking. It must be given in seconds. Save and close.
  3. Run modmaker.exe inside the VS install directory. Wait and follow the instructions until complete.
  4. Open item.json again, and change the value back to the default 600. Save and close.

You now have a mod that changes your item despawn time to the value you want. It is likely already where it needs to be, and you'll be able to activate it from the mod manager in the game's main menu.

If you suffer from performance issues when running that mod - well, redram already explained why :P But in singleplayer it should be okay, so long as you don't choose an utterly ridiculous value.

I don't know if this has changed since Oct 2021 or if you mistyped. I found the item.json file at: "Vintagestory\assets\game\entities\item.json"

It seems to be the same on a server install too.

There is a file at the path you describe called "label-paper-item.json" but not sure what that is.

@Diche Bach Yes, this appears to have changed across versions. In a backup-ed 1.14 instance I still have, the item.json file is still under survival, not game. Meanwhile in 1.18 prerelease, which I also have installed, I find it under game instead, as you describe.

Other files in the same locations wouldn't need to be touched, so it doesn't really matter what they are.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.