Tree Taps

PhotriusPyrelus

The maple juice could be cooked first to get the syrup. So it is not to passive resource farming. The syrup could be used as replacement for honey in some recipes.

Same thing should be done with pine juice, which you can cook into resin. 

To keep it balanced, the tree tap should be from iron, have a complicated smiting recipe and should give of a maximum of half a bucket of juice, before it has to be placed somewhere else. And it would need a hammer to plug it into the tree. 

Sounds good? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Screwy said:

To keep it balanced, the tree tap should be from iron, have a complicated smiting recipe and should give of a maximum of half a bucket of juice, before it has to be placed somewhere else. And it would need a hammer to plug it into the tree.

I don't see why taps would need to be gated behind iron given that Algonquians successfully tapped maple trees with reeds. The easiest way to keep things balanced is to follow the real life temperature requirements for tapping (tapping seasons generally last no more than 2 months of the year, ending when spring temperatures get too warm), and to require large volumes of sap to create reasonable amounts of maple syrup (e.g. you get 1 bucket a night, but that single 10 liter bucket will boil down to 1 liter of syrup). You could complicate things even more by requiring very long boiling times, which would mean the player would need to either attend a fire regularly or find a lot of longer burning fuels.

Honestly I think having a honey alternative - especially one that would be more common in colder areas and at colder times when bees aren't active and/or present is a great idea. It would also provide a new winter activity! And one that requires the player to venture out every day to collect the buckets, so no winter homes in the south...

Edited by allstreets

3 hours ago, Screwy said:

The maple juice could be cooked first to get the syrup. So it is not to passive resource farming. The syrup could be used as replacement for honey in some recipes.

Same thing should be done with pine juice, which you can cook into resin. 

Sounds good? 

Not to rain on your parade, but this is almost exactly how it works in Expanded Foods.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 5:36 PM, l33tmaan said:

Not to rain on your parade, but this is almost exactly how it works in Expanded Foods.

only because a mod has it already doesn't mean it shouldn't be wished to be included in the base game, right?
since when do you do such a thing?

i strongly agree with @allstreets though, gateing it behind iron doesn't make much sense and at that point, tapping normally isn't necessary anymore anyway, a honey alternative makes sense only for the time until you can just have a few greenhouses for your bees (i normally have 5 skeps in a flower greenhouse for my honey/wax needs nowadays, sometimes i have a second greenhouse with bees though), resin is common enough if you don't destroy the trees where you can harvest it and until iron tech level you'll have enough of it for most of your needs. the resin option would be nice though as that'll mean player planted trees could become sources of resin, going logging you'd need to be less careful to not destroy resin sources.

1 hour ago, Hal13 said:

only because a mod has it already doesn't mean it shouldn't be wished to be included in the base game, right?
since when do you do such a thing?

That's not what I'm saying, it's just eerily similar to how I already did it. I'd love it if Tyron did it better.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.