Sleeping for a reason

daretmavi

It looks like sleeping has no extra reason except of skipping the night. Even satiation is dropping faster than if you do nothing.

What about make sleeping more useful, get some buffs if you sleep long enough (6-8 hours):

• bonus hp for the next 16 hours (something like +10%, maybe more if you have better bed)
  • reduces hunger rate for the next 16 hours
  • quicker healing as you sleep
  • etc.

You need good sleep before you get on trip 😉

I agree.  It would be nice to have some bonuses for sleeping.  I like reducing hunger rate.  I also like the idea of healing as you sleep (at the very least it should be commensurate with the hours passing normally; I'm pretty sure it's not!).

Furthermore, I'd like to see sleep duration not tied to bed type, and to be able to wake up at sunrise without having to watch the clock in the character screen - say if a rooster is within a certain number of blocks of your bed?  Also being unable to sleep because I'm "not tired" is sometimes a bother.

I also think it could be neat if there was visual distortion similar to temporal storms if you've been awake too long - say, very gradually getting worse from your 24th hour awake until the 48th hour awake (and remaining ever after until you sleep).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Furthermore, I'd like to see sleep duration not tied to bed type, and to be able to wake up at sunrise without having to watch the clock in the character screen - say if a rooster is within a certain number of blocks of your bed?  Also being unable to sleep because I'm "not tired" is sometimes a bother.

Agree.

41 minutes ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

I also think it could be neat if there was visual distortion similar to temporal storms if you've been awake too long - say, very gradually getting worse from your 24th hour awake until the 48th hour awake (and remaining ever after until you sleep).

I would decrease some player stats first. I don't really like too much of visual distortion, but once / hour some small distortion could be ok.
This has to be behind setting, because it is not suitable for some play styles (less survival, more building/mining).

10 hours ago, daretmavi said:

I would decrease some player stats first. I don't really like too much of visual distortion, but once / hour some small distortion could be ok.
This has to be behind setting, because it is not suitable for some play styles (less survival, more building/mining).

Maybe.  Temporal storm distortion doesn't have an optional setting (or does it?  I never noticed it), and this would be basically the same, if you want to get rid of it, just sleep.  Just like temporal storms.  :shrug:  Though in general, I'm a fan of making everything optional in sandbox games.  ^^

2 hours ago, Omega Haxors said:

The hunger draw is the biggest dealbreaker. Once you get to the point where it stops mattering, you no longer need to sleep anyway, except when you need your molds to cool.

This is the problem, there is no benefit from sleeping.

But I'm not sure if player should be forced to sleep, this is why I wrote to PhotriusPyrelus that punishment should be an option for more real hardcore survival.

6 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Temporal storm distortion doesn't have an optional setting (or does it?  I never noticed it), and this would be basically the same ...

Temporal storm are kind of special event, not occurring regularly every day.
Btw. temporal storms are not rewarding either. More I play, less reason in temporal storms I see.

Visual distortion from sleep has the ability to annoy much more than temporal storms. As you write, options are always good 👍

The game is well balanced as is in terms of difficulty.and I do agree that adding a debuf to not sleeping for an entity that seemingly can resurrect with no end might be a bit too much to add atop the constant eating and the lot...
(This is my personal opinion, so don't take it as a fact. We all have a different understanding for what's balanced. )
It would make early game just that much more frustrating for new players and those that play on a new world after a new update or something else...
Like for example a new player that finds themselves in an area that has no sticks but plenty of knapping material..
And in the unlikely event that they can't make a bed in the first day... Well, say hello to added frustration because now you get a penalty. The workaround to that issue would be to add the function to sleep on the ground... But... The more complicated this is made the more difficult it will be in the long run.

The one part I fully agree with however is when you sleep, you should regain lost health.
A lot pf people already use the sleeping mechanic to their advantage to have some degree of control over time, (Like speeding up mold cool down while the next batch is cooking..). Just like @Omega Haxors said.
Having the bed increase your healing rate while you sleep, would make a lot of sense.

(A little off topic here.. )-> Would even better if we had bandages that you'd need to apply that increase healing or other medical supplements.. Rather than having to chug down horsetail poultice like tic-tacs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windego said:

(A little off topic here.. )-> Would even better if we had bandages that you'd need to apply that increase healing or other medical supplements.. Rather than having to chug down horsetail poultice like tic-tacs.

There's bandage options that do not involve horsetail already in game.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

There's bandage options that do not involve horsetail already in game.

I'm talking about the kind you would apply to your person for a slow increase of health regeneration, progressing through the tiers rather than instantly healing from the bandage.
Like having instant-health regeneration moved on to a different item, like edible medicine or syringe shots.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.