Things I would really like to see

Jaden Martindale

I would really like a drifter spawn rework, Its quite unintuitive that during the temporal storm the safe thing to do is go outside and run around rather than hunkering down in a safe place. and i find no matter wich i do half the time a high level drifter just spawns inside me killing me instantly. It never feels like ive done something wrong when i die, and just feels like Ive been punished for not abusing the meta game mechanic of building a room out of slabs to hide in.

Also the mushroom and fruit tree update would be a great place to add plantable peppers!!!

On 12/20/2021 at 9:53 PM, Jaden Martindale said:

Its quite unintuitive that during the temporal storm the safe thing to do is go outside and run around rather than hunkering down in a safe place

you mean in a horror game with teleportation mechanics you think staying (not hiding, only staying) in one "safe" place is the intuitive thing to do?

On 12/20/2021 at 9:53 PM, Jaden Martindale said:

feels like Ive been punished for not abusing the meta game mechanic of building a room out of slabs to hide in.

Slabs don't prevent storm induced drifter spawns as they spawn in midair, nearly anything where you can stand drifters can spawn in a storm. Though you can make a hollow statue or chisel a closet to hide in, hell you can carve a complete room out of solid blocks if you want a more spacious safe room.

The intuitive things are: hide under your blanket or in a closet (both are in the game: you can sleep the storm away or hide inside of chiseled blocks), fight or run away (the storm is in a stationary area). Ignoring the storm because after all you are inside a room is the least intuitive thing to do in my opinion. It's a rational thing to do but not intuitive.

That being said, a drifter rework is on the list of changes for 1.16. and i think we'll get more horror elements at some point too, so hunkering down in a "safe" place will very likely become even less of a good idea.

5 hours ago, Saricane said:

Starting from v1.16, drifters will throw you rocks from under . Even if you open the wooden trap, I think this will not be sufficient to avoid all rocks. The only 100% safe way now seems to be the "carved closet", accessible as soon as you can get a chisel.

theoretically you could put a trapdoor right under the stairs, which should do the trick too, But then again, saw and chisel need to be smithed hence both methods are available around the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with you. There should be some way to be able to just hide away safe when the storm comes (that is not a chisseled coffin). And when it comes to horror games, it stops beeing horror and starts beeing annoying when there is no way to avoid your enemies, or fight them, and when you can be caught in a death loop. The fighting system is still lacking and the stone throwing drifters make it even more irritating to be outside when its temporalstorming, also in midwinter that is almost undoable due to how temperature now affects you.  As it is now, you can't hide and you can't fight and so you die, not fun and it makes me turn of the storms which is sad cause that removes much of the horror aspect of the game. I also loved the unsettlingness of just watching the storms from a semi safe spot. The storms create an atmosphere so I am loath to turn them off, but right now I do cause it's either that or not play the game at all. Also, I don't like that you cant sleep trough storms anymore. I like to be able to decide weather to fight or hide during a storm and to be able to do that without having to go in to a menu and turn things on and off. If you don't wanna sleep or hide away trough the storm then simply don't. And if you dont wanna fight then you should have the opportunity to hide away. 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.