sand and gravel ores. for sluice/panning

Ultimaheart4

i was thinking that back in Terrafirmacraft we had sluices and panning for getting small pieces of ores from the local area of said ore type in the local area (basically you could get infinite ore of any type aslong as you had gravel/sand and was close enough. however i always felt that was cheaty, so instead we can make deserts a bit more decorative with special sand ores that we get less then normal amount of ore from then regular rock ores but we also have to sluice or pan them (maybe just sift) but could help give us some early game way to get more ores and not cheat the local ore system with just using plain sand and gravel, maybe we can still get gems or certain types of ores from pure gravels/sand's or atleast flint small rocks from gravel and maybe quart glass from sand? if mortar will be added maybe even have gravel give lime or stuff from sifting/sluice/panning. also i feel that the sand gravel ores should be limited to early game ores that can alloy to bronze and ofcourse some secondary ores for colors? not sure what will be implemented. but please make it semi-automated. i like automation not sure if anyone else does.

Hello Allen,

How long ago did you play TFC? TFC has a system where each chunk has a panning limit that prevents you from getting an infinite amount of ore. Automation is on the todo list using mechanical power gathered from wind, water, and animals.
I think sluicing is a good idea. We already have an ore density map so panning might be a good alternative to the prospecting pick. But I think it should return trace amounts. Usually panning was done to find the ore vein as it takes a lot of panning to come up with anything substantial enough to make a tool head out of.

I'll just point out the sluice in TFC required planks, so was gated behind copper.  In that context it's not an alternative for searching for first copper.   Panning on the other hand was an alternative.  So if sluicing is intended as alternative to finding surface nuggets, it will need some consideration on the recipe.  I think it would be worth reconsidering how it works, as I thought the sluice pits in TFC were pretty ugly and ridiculous.

it is true that a sluice needs wood but you still want nuggets to help find surface copper veins when not in desert. you will also need a shovel that can dig the gravel or sand ore if it was to go that route. even if it was just panning with the sand/gravel ore until you got enough to make a sluice that could get you more metals out of the sand/gravel ores that would be nice. but if i understand the dev team wants to just use generic sand/gravel in ore map areas to extract "nuggets" also i was amused that there was only ever one size of specific ores. wish i could find better veins and stuff like tfc. @Stroam yes i do remember the change but it also made it close to useless removing the infinite ores from sluicing seeing as at that point i recall that sand no longer gave decent metal returns and went more towards gems, and you started running out of gravel. they also made it so you couldnt place gravel and use it to pan anymore.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:01 PM, redram said:

[...] I think it would be worth reconsidering how it works, as I thought the sluice pits in TFC were pretty ugly and ridiculous.

They were super hideous.  Talk about marring the landscape.  I think sluicing should only be included if water physics are upgraded and rivers are added.  Then rivers can be sluiced for trace amounts of minerals, without actually removing material from the landscape and digging trenches.  If you had to "break" the sluice to get the minerals out it would go further to helping prevent sluice boxes lying around as well.

It is unclear to me, after a little googling, whether sluicing could be used to collect anything other than gold and a few types of gem.  Perhaps it could be limited to these, as decorative items, without any restrictions other than having a long turn around?

Archived