Roadmap thread?

Rastrick

Hey there, I was thinking it would be nice to have a roadmap thread. Not to increase pressure on anyone. I was thinking it would head off a lot of repetitive questioning about features, additions, status of things. I would be cool to know what's "cooking on the stove" so to speak and what the next stable update is targeting. Just an idea.

There's a roadmap page for the longer term plan. But, the following is currently floating around in my head, all just hypothetical, my plans often change drastically when better ideas come along ^_^

The next feature update will probably focus on worldgen as most of you requested, and some more features from TFC. It might be a while though because first I would like to work on some tasks that will not lead to new features. Those not game-feature tasks are:

• the proposed team internal asset database which would greatly help in streamlining our asset production
  • move vintagestory.at to my own dedicated server, merge game and forum account, make it that you can find your purchase game key without the email, find a higher throughput download server
  • create an automated build and release system so i can push releases with less manual labor and greater flexibility
  • (improving the stability of the game for mac os users. This requires me to code on and improve a 3rd party library)
  • (a mod hub?)

• 1 month later...

I played Minecraft for years - thoroughly enjoyed it at the beginning - I played since early beta. But I was always disappointed with where the game was going.  it seemed all willy-nilly in what they added to the game. There didn't seem to be a pathway for the game development where things that were added had a purpose and added value to the game.  It was "look at what we just added" but when I looked at it, the addition didn't make sense - why did they add it.  For me it was an exploration leading to building game, then it changed.  Or  maybe I changed.  With the sale to Microsoft, I lost interest in the game.  I'm hoping this game will perk my interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tryon, do you think the next update will come out before the year ends?

I am patient because I rather have the quality, thoughtful features  and refinement you presented so far rather than a rushed release; I know it's a small team but I'm curious about an ETA if that's possible. 

Archived