Jump to content

Mod maker mod doesn't load properly


Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I'm trying to make a mod that replaces the gold or silver plate by a less expensive item in the lined lantern crafting grid (right click a metal plate is a beast for later).

 

I updated my in game folder with the new item, shapes and recipes, changed the lantern recipe, updated the lang english file, and tested it all, it worked flawlessly. 

 

I run the modmaker.exe tool to generate the mod zip, revert the changes in the game and load the mod. The item and recipes doesn't load, the lantern recipe throws an error, description is empty...

 

I compared my mod with other working mods, changed the folder structure, added " in the item .json file, nothing worked. I'm at a loss, I don't understand what's wrong.

 

Please help.

 

I included the latest iteration of the mod.

 

Thanks

LanternLiner.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Paul Kauphart said:

Hello,

 

I'm trying to make a mod that replaces the gold or silver plate by a less expensive item in the lined lantern crafting grid (right click a metal plate is a beast for later).

 

I updated my in game folder with the new item, shapes and recipes, changed the lantern recipe, updated the lang english file, and tested it all, it worked flawlessly. 

 

I run the modmaker.exe tool to generate the mod zip, revert the changes in the game and load the mod. The item and recipes doesn't load, the lantern recipe throws an error, description is empty...

 

I compared my mod with other working mods, changed the folder structure, added " in the item .json file, nothing worked. I'm at a loss, I don't understand what's wrong.

 

Please help.

 

I included the latest iteration of the mod.

 

Thanks

LanternLiner.zip 4.43 kB · 2 downloads

Here, try this updated version below out.  I think it mostly works although I didn't test it thoroughly, especially the smithing portion.  VintageStoryData\Logs\server-main.txt comes back clean so I'm optimistic that it all works.

I don't use modmaker often, but I can tell you that it doesn't do a good job with domains i.e. it puts everything in assets/game folder aka the game: domain, and will not resolve assets correctly if you move them into your own lanternliner folder / lanternliner: domain.

I moved all of your stuff into the lanternliner domain (simply because that's the best practice), deleted the game folder entirely, and in the json files I prefixed a bunch of assets with either game: (absolutely everything in the vanilla game is in the game: domain) or lanternliner:.   As a general rule, you don't need to specify a domain if the asset + json file are in the same domain, but it never hurts to add them, especially when something is not working.

I also deleted your lang file patch and replaced it with an actual lang file.  That file (en.json) is a more typical (and easier) way of managing your lang file (rather than patching the game's lang files),  and it's better than it was, although I'm not sure if that's exactly what you were trying to achieve.   
 

LanternLiner-Updated.zip

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2022 at 12:31 AM, Spear and Fang said:

I don't use modmaker often, but I can tell you that it doesn't do a good job with domains i.e. it puts everything in assets/game folder aka the game: domain, and will not resolve assets correctly if you move them into your own lanternliner folder / lanternliner: domain.

I moved all of your stuff into the lanternliner domain (simply because that's the best practice), deleted the game folder entirely, and in the json files I prefixed a bunch of assets with either game: (absolutely everything in the vanilla game is in the game: domain) or lanternliner:.   As a general rule, you don't need to specify a domain if the asset + json file are in the same domain, but it never hurts to add them, especially when something is not working.

Thank you.

I've been trying to figure out why when I package things up they don't look like I thought they should vis a vis domains.

So do you just manually create the zip?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Thank you.

I've been trying to figure out why when I package things up they don't look like I thought they should vis a vis domains.

So do you just manually create the zip?

Rather than use modmaker, I manually create everything (although I copy/paste a lot). I only use modmaker to help me figure out difficult patches.

In this case I manually created the zip file and that's perfectly fine.  Personally I simply let Visual Studio create the zip file for me (via a custom "package" task), but that's a long story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I ended up editing the files and manually zipping everything, even if I used the modmaker tool as a base.

 

The mod is now published in the DB : https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/2704

Please download it there rather than in this thread and feel free to give me feedback.

 

 

Thanks again Spear and Fang for the help

 

 

 

Edited by Paul Kauphart
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.