Hammer's Ringing Fall

Vinter Nacht

J6mV7Gt.png

A Smithing Mod By Aetherial Labs

Author: Vinter_Nacht, Texture Artist: AnxietyPealope
JSON Files Assist: Raccoon

Support Us Through Patreon!

VnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.png

"With measured beat and slow, Like a sexton ringing the village bell" - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

So what is Hammer's Ringing Fall?

This mod has been in the wings since November of 2021, which seems like another world now. At that time I was pondering the fact that the progression from clay and stone storage to chests was rather abrupt. Chests were so easy to make, you could simply put them together with nary a bit of effort.  Once you had your saw, it was chests all around.  That was the first "problem" this mod was made to solve, an abrupt jump in tech precipitated with a simple saw. 

Quite simply, it increases the importance of metal in the lives of the Seraph.  Everything from tools and weapons to planks and shelving requires some degree of a metal component. Chests require hinges and nails, metal tools require rivets and metal bands (with the sole exception of the copper ax/pickaxe/etc, whose recipe is only slightly changed). You'll find that there is a need for metal at every turn you make.

It is worth mentioning that this mod was primarily made with the concept of a multiplayer environment in mind. Blacksmiths typically find themselves relegated to making armor, tools, and weapons, but precious little else. Little else, that is, unless you count a seemingly endless number of chutes for the automation inclined. With Hammer's Ringing Fall there will always be a need for the smith to be at his forge, and an endless supply of charcoal to feed him.  Surely a good thing for any virtual economy.

VnOHkxz.pngAdded By Hammer's Ringing Fall Are:

dXq905C.pngRivets - Used in all manner of metal craft, such as chutes, weapons, and tools.

dXq905C.pngMetal Bands - Used in recipes where reinforcement or securing is required, such as your helve hammer base.

dXq905C.pngNails - All manner of woodwork requires these, including shelving, planks, and stairs.

dXq905C.pngHinge Flange Top/Bottom - Two of the three parts required to make hinges

dXq905C.pngPins - Used, along with the Hinge Flange Top/Bottom to create a hinge.

dXq905C.pngTool Hafts - An oiled tool haft is made using a log, an ax, and a bit of fat, and then cured for 48 hours to become a finished haft. Comes in three sizes.  Small for swords and knives, medium for axes and hammers, large for scythes, hoes, shovels, and spears.

VnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.pngdXq905C.pngVnOHkxz.png

Frequently Asked Questions:

dXq905C.png- Does the mod increase the durability of tools/weapons? Not at present, though that is an intended feature. I wanted to get it out to get tested, find out what the interest levels were, and get some feedback about how that modification should happen. Based on the increased costs, I'm speculating about 35%

dXq905C.png- What mods does Hammer's Ringing Fall Support? Currently, it only supports vanilla items.  That will be changing rapidly, see above about testing interest and feedback.

dXq905C.pngCan I toss a coin to my modder? Of course you can, and we thank ya kindly.  As always, the first updates supporting new mods will be released to supporters on Patreon, as a thank you for your encouragement and kind words.

Upcoming Features:

There's a lot planned here, but you'll have to wait for me to share it. I don't want to make promises without having some idea of how to achieve them.  For now, I'm just Tinkering with some ideas.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, maibock said:

Oh wow! Really cool, will probably use this for my next multiplayer playthrough with friends. I'm semi-curious about the nails though, how many are produced from one ingot and how much are needed for basic wood recipes like planks, shelves, etc?

The amount needed varies, but it's 1 nail per most basic things like planks/stairs/etc.  Shelves and the like cost more, and likely have additional costs associated.  I don't recall if they require a metal band, but they should (for the supports underneath).

"How many you get per ingot" varies, but I believe it's possible to get 18 if you're a skilled enough smith.  I highly recommend using Anvil Metal Recovery (With the broken tool return set to off) with this mod.

• Like 1

I really like the mod, but I ran into a problem
The beginning of the path, you need to make a stone knife. But it is made from a "Tool Has small" In order to make IT, you need an "Axe" for an axe you also need handles.There is an analogue, a knife and an axe made of bone.But to get the bones, you need a knife, at least a bone one! I'm kind of confused.help  me please

• Sad 1

I realized I accidentally set *all* tools to require a haft.  It's only supposed to be metal tools. Will correct.  In future updates, will require cordage made from reed fiber for stone knives.  You can just break cattails and papyrus with your hands.

Should have the first update out tonight, which changes stone tools to require only sticks.

Edited by Vinter Nacht
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Владимир Радостин said:

To make a hinge, you need a top flange, a pin, and a bottom flange. Somehow the transform got messed up on the bottom flange, making it invisible in the recipe. Will fix.

Re: the names. I see now that the lang file didn't get loaded in the last release.  Will be fixed in the next one.

Edited by Vinter Nacht

Recipe displays have disappeared completely(((

And also, when forging loops, 3 parts are clearly visible on the anvil, separated from each other (if you forge 2 pieces, then 5 are visible as in the photo). but at the end of forging, only 1 piece (or 2) fits in the backpack.
Is there any logical way to explain this? in fact, 1 ingot is enough for 3 (HALF!) loops. For 5 (halves) loops, well, quite.
It turns out that 1 chest requires (now) 2 ingots of metal + a pin.(not taking into account metal strips)

Can it do as depicted when forging? 
3 (half) loops. then 2 ingots will make 3 solid loops. and this is 1 chest + for example a gate. and 4  ingots are 3 chests!))
These are just suggestions)

.....................................................................................................................................

although, if we are talking about forging by hand, then yes, 2 (half) loops, this is quite normal .it's difficult to do it with your hands. 
but can then make a recipe that displays 2 pieces, not 5. so that the output of the metal back would be greater, for further remelting. 

but when forging on an automatic hammer, you can make a unique recipe for 5 (half) of the hinge. minimum waste-maximum productivity
For nails and other products, it seems to me, it is also possible to make more output on an auto hammer.

9 nail for manual processing, rough, quite adequate. but 18, is difficult.

For a auto hammer 18 nails from 1 ingot of metal, it already seems not so supernatural!)

image.thumb.png.9467af2450c3de5b42a087e9faf3459d.pngimage.thumb.png.170c27dd8a3d301a25d7139b4802fda4.png

Edited by Владимир Радостин

2 hours ago, Владимир Радостин said:

Recipe displays have disappeared completely(((

And also, when forging loops, 3 parts are clearly visible on the anvil, separated from each other (if you forge 2 pieces, then 5 are visible as in the photo). but at the end of forging, only 1 piece (or 2) fits in the backpack.
Is there any logical way to explain this? in fact, 1 ingot is enough for 3 (HALF!) loops. For 5 (halves) loops, well, quite.
It turns out that 1 chest requires (now) 2 ingots of metal + a pin.(not taking into account metal strips)

Can it do as depicted when forging? 
3 (half) loops. then 2 ingots will make 3 solid loops. and this is 1 chest + for example a gate. and 4  ingots are 3 chests!))
These are just suggestions)

.....................................................................................................................................

although, if we are talking about forging by hand, then yes, 2 (half) loops, this is quite normal .it's difficult to do it with your hands. 
but can then make a recipe that displays 2 pieces, not 5. so that the output of the metal back would be greater, for further remelting. 

but when forging on an automatic hammer, you can make a unique recipe for 5 (half) of the hinge. minimum waste-maximum productivity
For nails and other products, it seems to me, it is also possible to make more output on an auto hammer.

9 nail for manual processing, rough, quite adequate. but 18, is difficult.

For a auto hammer 18 nails from 1 ingot of metal, it already seems not so supernatural!

Keep posting about this kind of thing. It turns out I made a complete mess of the file on this last release. >.> Problem with being in a rush to push out a fix.  I'm going to release again on Sunday after I have some time to polish up all the existing things.  It sounds like the output recipe isn't configured properly to drop the correct number of items.  Will fix.

7 hours ago, Владимир Радостин said:

I hope that this modification will eventually, with the help of the creator and testers, reach an ideal workable state!

Because I don't want to play the game without this mod

I think the latest one is stable, but I put it out as a developmental mod since it's largely untested beyond basic recipe checking and a clear log.  Go to town and try to break it!

• 1 month later...

So HRF has gotten a new update to 1.2.1-rc.1.  This version appears to be generally stable.  The only anticipated errors would be me missing an ingredient or something in one of the many recipes found in the mods it supports.  It also comes with two new features!

1 - It will allow you to break down arrowheads and spearheads into metal bits for resmelting.

2 - It limits the amount of metal a crucible can hold to two ingots worth.  This can be changed in the config. The number listed represents the number of nuggets per slot in the crucible.

• Like 1

@Vinter Nacht Do not do that. Use, for example, assets/yourmodid/patches/othermodid. Otherwise, in the logs it turns out that stonequarry patches stonequarry files, although in fact your mod does it.
P.S. And yes, SQ compatibility broke in 2.0.0

Spoiler

image.png.45c8293bd820d3e541b6f52e198e4372.png

11.5.2022 10:39:18 [Error] Patch 3 (target: stonequarry:recipes/grid/tool/finishingchisel.json) in stonequarry:patches/grid/tool/hrf_finishingchisel.json failed, following Exception was thrown: The parent is missing.
11.5.2022 10:39:18 [Error] Patch 4 (target: stonequarry:recipes/grid/tool/rubblehammer.json) in stonequarry:patches/grid/tool/hrf_rubblehammer.json failed, following Exception was thrown: The parent is missing.
11.5.2022 10:39:18 [Error] Patch 3 (target: stonequarry:recipes/grid/tool/wedgechisel.json) in stonequarry:patches/grid/tool/hrf_wedgechisel.json failed, following Exception was thrown: The parent is missing.

11.5.2022 10:41:16 [Error] Grid Recipe with output Item code stonequarry:finishingchisel-copper has no ingredient pattern or incorrect ingredient pattern length. Ignoring recipe.

Edited by DArkHekRoMaNT

On 5/9/2022 at 3:42 AM, Vinter Nacht said:

So HRF has gotten a new update to 1.2.1-rc.1.  This version appears to be generally stable.  The only anticipated errors would be me missing an ingredient or something in one of the many recipes found in the mods it supports.  It also comes with two new features!

1 - It will allow you to break down arrowheads and spearheads into metal bits for resmelting.

2 - It limits the amount of metal a crucible can hold to two ingots worth.  This can be changed in the config. The number listed represents the number of nuggets per slot in the crucible.

Please check crucible capacity config code, changing   "CrucibleCapacityPerSlot": on server, nor on client have no effect.

30 minutes ago, Cyraxan said:

Please check crucible capacity config code, changing   "CrucibleCapacityPerSlot": on server, nor on client have no effect.

It came to my attention that this wasn't working. I have a version where it *is* working, but am still trying to work out one little detail before releasing a patch.  However, please report this on the issue tracker. (You'll find a link at the top of the HRF db entry)

6 hours ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

@Vinter Nacht Do not do that. Use, for example, assets/yourmodid/patches/othermodid. Otherwise, in the logs it turns out that stonequarry patches stonequarry files, although in fact your mod does it.
P.S. And yes, SQ compatibility broke in 2.0.0

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.45c8293bd820d3e541b6f52e198e4372.png

11.5.2022 10:39:18 [Error] Patch 3 (target: stonequarry:recipes/grid/tool/finishingchisel.json) in stonequarry:patches/grid/tool/hrf_finishingchisel.json failed, following Exception was thrown: The parent is missing.
11.5.2022 10:39:18 [Error] Patch 4 (target: stonequarry:recipes/grid/tool/rubblehammer.json) in stonequarry:patches/grid/tool/hrf_rubblehammer.json failed, following Exception was thrown: The parent is missing.
11.5.2022 10:39:18 [Error] Patch 3 (target: stonequarry:recipes/grid/tool/wedgechisel.json) in stonequarry:patches/grid/tool/hrf_wedgechisel.json failed, following Exception was thrown: The parent is missing.

11.5.2022 10:41:16 [Error] Grid Recipe with output Item code stonequarry:finishingchisel-copper has no ingredient pattern or incorrect ingredient pattern length. Ignoring recipe.

Noted, will correct in all my mods. As for SQ compatibility, was this due to a change on your side?

The current method of limiting crucible space strongly limits the amount of alloys that can be made at once, if you want to keep the limit of 2 ingots per crucible and allow for reasonable amounts of alloy creation you may want to add a method of creating alloy blends? Preferably just by combining nuggets in the crafting grid, slow methods like manually grinding in a quern earlygame wouldn't feel good for something that should realistically be possible by default (by which I mean putting 40 nuggets of differing types into a space that can hold 40 nuggets, not making alloy blends).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 8:53 AM, Галушин Григорий said:

How can I make a haft without a barrel? I need a saw to get wood planks for barrel, but I can't make it without a haft...

Upd: nevermind, I'm just stupid. I don't need barrels to get a haft

Not stupid. :) I can see how you made that assumption.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:16 AM, Jaysus273 said:

The current method of limiting crucible space strongly limits the amount of alloys that can be made at once, if you want to keep the limit of 2 ingots per crucible and allow for reasonable amounts of alloy creation you may want to add a method of creating alloy blends? Preferably just by combining nuggets in the crafting grid, slow methods like manually grinding in a quern earlygame wouldn't feel good for something that should realistically be possible by default (by which I mean putting 40 nuggets of differing types into a space that can hold 40 nuggets, not making alloy blends).

You can change the amount a crucible can hold in the config, unless I'm mistaken. The adjustment is made per slot.

I'll eventually implement a method for creating larger yields from alloying.

Also, be aware that the intent of reducing the crucible capacity was, in part, intended to make you build a larger forge with more fires and space for crucibles.

Edited by Vinter Nacht

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.