Game Play in Cold Weather Zone - Early Storage

Liu Bei

I've played new worlds a lot of times for fun and adventure: Temperate about 40-50, Warm about 5, Hot about 10, and done well and have learned a lot.  I usually play in Exploration mode in order to emphasize the learning experience about ore distribution, mining, farming and building automated mechanics. What a lot of fun!

Among other things, I've developed a game play style to advance quickly to the point where I can independently explore.  This includes finding early storage quickly, both for carrying and on the ground. The climates I've tried so far all have reeds and bamboo to get you going.

I finally tried a Cool Climate world and: oops, no reeds (and certainly no bamboo)! I wasn't really surprised because I expected that reeds in early Spring in the North might not be available.  I checked the wiki and found that vines can be used to make rope and rope to make at least a basket to put on the floor. However, the Survival Guide in game shows a recipe for rope using wild vine but nothing for making a basket.

The questions are:  are rope baskets an unimplemented feature?, are reeds to be found in Cool climates and I just haven't looked enough? will we be able to make rope hand baskets?

Obviously I'm missing something.

Otherwise, kudos to Tyron and the team for a great game!

Notes:

Wikipedia reed distribution - The common, or water, reed (Phragmites australis) occurs along the margins of lakes, fens, marshes, and streams from the Arctic to the tropics. It is a broad-leafed grass, about 1.5 to 5 metres (5 to 16.5 feet) tall, with feathery flower clusters and stiff, smooth stems.

Wikipedia bamboo distribution - Bamboos have a wide natural distribution, occurring from approximately 46° N latitude to approximately 47° S latitude and from sea level to as much as 4,300 meters (ca. 14,000 feet) in elevation in equatorial highlands.

Edited by Liu Bei

Coopers reeds (aka cattails) should appear in every climate except polar regions.  I believe at this time the severe lack of reeds is a bug.  You'll probably have to abandon that world a try another one with the same settings.  Alternately, you may have to be the nomad until you can find a place with reeds.

• Like 1

Thanks Maelstrom, Yeah I think you're correct.  I tried another cool world and there were no reeds.  So they must be rare. I'll have to abandon conquering cool worlds for now.

As a suggestion: why not implement rope baskets? There are plenty of vines in cold climates...

You can do it. 10 spaces is enough. The problem is that unless you find a trader willing to sell clay, there are no crucibles and no meals.

For early storage, there's always firepits. I often end up with a dozen or more before I can get a saw going. And I THINK it might prevent drifters from spawning on that space, too. Wouldn't swear to it, but haven't seen it, either.

Thorfinn! thanks for the insight.  In the past I have always gone right  to clay storage vessels in the first 2 days, but recently have focused on reed baskets for early storage.  Now that you've shown a way to get some early storage in fire pits, this looks to be doable in Cool worlds.  The first Cool world does have clay deposits, so it might well work out.  I'm rushing off to find out.  Sounds like fun! (except for the wolves...).  By the way, it is all about the saw...

Thanks Davis, I agree with the scarcity

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.