Enemy pursuit distance?

JellyCat

Maybe it's just been a bit since I played, but has enemy pursuit distance changed since 1.15? I had a wolf chase me through a forest, across a lake, across plains, and into my house the other day. And since enemies can see through doors, once a wolf is outside your house it becomes a very angry roommate. I've also had drifters pursue me so far that I was absolutely positive that they were no longer following only to have them attack from behind when I was most of the way through chopping a tree down. I seem to remember that once upon a time, once they were far enough to be out of sight, you were safe, but maybe I'm making that up...

Anyone got some info on how enemies pursue so I can learn how to lose them when I don't feel like fighting?

That's very possible with the drifters -- I'm still getting used to them running around in the daytime, I suppose. Wolves are really what's getting me. I know that real wolves will pursue pray for miles, but I tend to like my digital wolves a little less stubborn. It could be interesting to have a line of sight mechanic that would let you lose them with some maneuvering or maybe a way of distracting them so you can get away.

My sneaking suspicion is that if you get a couple chunks between you and the wolf, he despawns. Adjacent chunks are not good enough to force a despawn, and I'm undecided about a single intervening chunk. It could be the wolf was close enough that he passed into that chunk before the despawn timer.

And sometimes wolves just stop following. I have no idea why. I've tried to lure some in the past and had to be really careful about how far ahead I was getting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.