Game won't start.

Tempo9999

When I click on the .exe of the game, nothing happens. Simple as that.

I tried looking at the task manager, and the game pops there for a second then gets suspended. No error messages or anything like that.

Also my computer outdoes all the system requirements of the game.
   Help?

• Like 1

I think the default install directory for Vintage Story is inside %appdata%, if I remember correctly. And sometimes, antivirus software might block all executables inside %appdata%.

Do you run a dedicated antivirus/antimalware software? If yes, you can either try turning it off for a moment and see if the game launches; or, if you'd rather not turn it off, you can try installing the game in a different folder.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 1

I don't use any antivirus programs. Also it's installed in a separate HDD I keep for games in a folder made for it.

I just copied the game folder to my roomate's computer to test it, and it works for them for some reason. Their computer is inferior hardware-wise, however.

Edited by Tempo9999

Vintage Story needs that directory to work. In such a case, it should create the directory from scratch, but instead it aborts starting. That could mean that there is a write permissions issue - the game is unable to write to %appdata%.

Perhaps there is some permissions issue where Windows disallows writing to the user profile from apps launched on external storage media? Perhaps your friend with an older PC also has an older Windows version which does not have that policy - or it's somehow disabled? I don't know. Either way - the client is unable to create its data directory on your machine.

Now you must find out why that is - or start working with startup arguments to retarget the data directory to somewhere it can write.

20 hours ago, Tempo9999 said:

I've created an exception for it in the firewall, nothing changed however.

It'll be a file system permissions issue, not a network issue.

20 hours ago, Tempo9999 said:

How could I "start working with startup arguments to retarget the data directory to somewhere it can write"?

Instead of starting vintagestory.exe, you create a shortcut to vintagestory.exe and use only that to start the game going forward. In the shortcut, you can append the --dataPath switch, specifying a directory where you want the game to deposit its data.

For example: "D:\Vintagestory\1-16-5\Vintagestory.exe --dataPath D:\Vintagestory\1-16-5\Data" is what I use. The client will auto-fill the directory with everything it needs at startup.

You said this is in windows 11? I'll have to see if that's something that interest Tyron. Right now we are rather swamped with bug fixes so it may be awhile before we can get someone from the team to help but please create a support ticket so we don't forget about this.

5 hours ago, Stroam said:

You said this is in windows 11?

No, his friend is running Windows 11 and has no problems. he has Windows 10.

14 hours ago, Tempo9999 said:

But that just turns the shortcut into a folder shortcut that goes nowhere.

I also have Windows 10 and it works just fine.

Here's how my shortcut looks. The interface is in German, but you should be able to see what you need to know.

If you cannot get it to work with that, I'm afraid I can't help you anymore.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.