Steam trains

uusfiyeyh

Besides boats and ships, trains (I mean "real" trains with realistic 1:1 scale, not minecarts) should be added to the game. Because they can be useful when carrying resources (using wagons/railcar) from different climate zones and can reduce considerably the amount of time you spend walking from, for example, the jungle to the arctic.

Also, it can open a lot of new possibilities on servers. Because you can start your own transport system, and move resources or even people and sell goods.

As a reference, I recommend taking a look at the Minecraft mod called: Immersive Trains.

PD: Sorry if is a duplicated topic, but at least I didn't find a post about trains.

• Like 4

99.9% of players can't mine enough ore, let alone produce enough steel, to make ONE realistic railway engine through all their worlds. For exampe: fullplate armor is about 20-30kg of steel, realistic railway engine is about 30000 kg of steel at least. Are you sure you want realistic trains with 1 to 1 scale?

• Like 2

While I wouldn't be opposed to that scale of vehicles, it feels impractical.

Either because of the material requirements, or because the size is just too big to navigate with in a blocky world.
The extreme elevation differences in the terrain alone would require terraforming at an incredible scale. And that's a problem with Immersive Trains as well.

That terraforming issue isn't eliminated by sticking to a 1x1 minecart scale, it's negated enough.

4 hours ago, EreticKB said:

99.9% of players can't mine enough ore, let alone produce enough steel, to make ONE realistic railway engine through all their worlds. For exampe: fullplate armor is about 20-30kg of steel, realistic railway engine is about 30000 kg of steel at least. Are you sure you want realistic trains with 1 to 1 scale?

It's true. However, VintageStory is not known by its easy gameplay (Minecraft or Stardew Valley). Also, we don't need trains at the start nor the real quantity of steel needed to build one in real life.

I imagine them as a late gameplay objective where you could, previously, build machines that automatically gather resources and let you build complex machines or whatever, so you will have a reason to build a train to move those goods. In addition, It can be useful on a server, since you can connect different towns.

4 hours ago, Melfice said:

While I wouldn't be opposed to that scale of vehicles, it feels impractical.

Either because of the material requirements, or because the size is just too big to navigate with in a blocky world.
The extreme elevation differences in the terrain alone would require terraforming at an incredible scale. And that's a problem with Immersive Trains as well.

That terraforming issue isn't eliminated by sticking to a 1x1 minecart scale, it's negated enough.

I think that if they add trains, there should be a Tunnel Boring Machine Wagon that helps to mitigate the problem of terraforming.

Consider that steam technology is end game mechanics on the roadmap.  The devs (all one and a half of them) have a lot of work to go before the game is ready for steam implementation.  I expect that oceans, rivers and water content will be added to the game long before steam technology is.  Until then we can dream and discuss.

21 hours ago, uusfiyeyh said:

It's true. However, VintageStory is not known by its easy gameplay (Minecraft or Stardew Valley). Also, we don't need trains at the start nor the real quantity of steel needed to build one in real life.

I imagine them as a late gameplay objective where you could, previously, build machines that automatically gather resources and let you build complex machines or whatever, so you will have a reason to build a train to move those goods. In addition, It can be useful on a server, since you can connect different towns.

About 300-400 REAL hours (m.b. more) of gameplay per one railway engine is TOO MANY time, really.

Edited by EreticKB

I imagined trains in VS similar to minecraft but modular and all the modules would be similar in size to the minecraft's minecart. So you have the engine cart together with the coal cart and then you can add your carts to transport ressources or people. Later they can simulate the weight and the tractive force of the train. And for example if you need to go up the mountain with many carts you would add a second engine. There's a mod(wip) similar to this idea: Rust and Railroads.

Also, remember that our Seraph would be building those trains on his own with primitive technology. So the model of the engine and the cart would be rough and simple, it won't be a shiny factory new locomotive.

But I don't think that VS team will add trains into the game in the near future. They first need to create a reason to transport a lot of ressources over vast distances(sparcely generated villages would be one). Certainly first they will add horses, carriages and boats with hopefully generated rivers.

There's already a reason to add trains.  That far off iron mine (and any other ore mines nearby).  Have you ever mined out an iron deposit and then spent three or four trips lugging all the iron chunks back home for processing?  It's pretty bad when that trek is 1,000+ blocks, one way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.