Does a bed prevent spawning during Temporal Storm?

Professor Dragon

Hello Everyone,

Okay, yet another "I'm miffed that Drifters can spawn in your 'safe space'" posts.

image.thumb.png.3672021f50613c9ab261eb726ab0e08a.png

A Heavy Temporal Storm was approaching, so I hid in my small "bunker", which has planks down (maybe not spawn proof) or otherwise has blocks crammed into every space.

Then I was going to sleep through the storm.

I just missed getting into the bed before the storm started - the clock countdown can sometimes jump forward a bit - but I was there within a fraction of a second of it starting.

Then, I woke up dead. Or rather, didn't wake up. Killed by a Tainted Drifter.

Now, this is a completely sealed room, with less than a dozen spawnable places, even allowing for Temporal Storm spawn rule shenanigans.

(Yes, there is an extra half-block high headroom. Long story.)

MY QUESTION

Does sleeping in a bed protect you during a Temporal Storm?

Because either I was VERY unlucky, and a Tainted Drifter spawned into a very small space, just before the sleeping kicked in.

OR the Tainted Drifter spawned in, while I was sleeping in a bad.

As per my opening paragraph, I'm a bit miffed that a seemingly "reasonable" precaution against spawning doesn't even let you get through a storm without being killed.

The only way otherwise to get "safely" through storms is invoking glitches such as non-full height spaces and burying yourself alive.

Is it too much to ask to have a ten block "spawn proof" area around the player?

Thanks.

• Wolf Bait 1

12 hours ago, Professor Dragon said:

The only way otherwise to get "safely" through storms is invoking glitches such as non-full height spaces and burying yourself alive.

Is it too much to ask to have a ten block "spawn proof" area around the player?

The game doesn't seem to want you to be able to hole up and hide during temporal storms. By default, you can't sleep during storms, and if you try, the game tells you you can't because "you might die". During the most severe storms, almost all spawning rules are relaxed, such that drifters can even spawn in midair, possibly even when clipping into the player. So asking for a no-spawn zone around the player as a default game mechanic seems unlikely to fly. If it really bugs you, you can turn off storms, or use a mod that enforces stricter spawning rules.

• Like 1

I use a 2x2x1 bunker with two ladders, as far as i know that still works work. chiseling a hole with no emty block aswell. But this cellar seem to have empty space.

I don't mind them making it harder to find safe places during temporal storms but i hope they don't remove any chance of hiding in a hole . To me, Lovecraft is about facing enemies you can't hope of defeting and where hiding in a hole or running as fast as you can (does usually not work great during temporal storms) is your best chance of survival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sara Bell said:

Since I allowed "sleeping during Temp Storms" on my sever, does that actually change the mechanics of drifter spawns?

Not as far as I know. It should only affect whether you can sleep on demand. However, drifters shouldn't spawn while you are asleep, so if you go to sleep before the storm actually starts and sleep all the way through it, you should get no storm-related spawns.

10 hours ago, Philtre said:

However, drifters shouldn't spawn while you are asleep, so if you go to sleep before the storm actually starts and sleep all the way through it, you should get no storm-related spawns.

That's what I thought.

So for that to be true, I actually got a spawn in my base in the literal first second that a storm started, as I as clicking the bed.

>> So asking for a no-spawn zone around the player as a default game mechanic seems unlikely to fly.

Why not? 

Yes, I get the whole Lovecraftian theme, but not being able to build a reasonably safe space seems taking things too far.

Combine these two rules:

* No spawns within "X" blocks of the player.

* (Optional) Check if indoors

There's already game rules that can detect indoors - your storage uses this. So the code exists.

Bear in mind that I've already spent 3? or 4? game years in this world, so it seems a little arbitrary that there is literally nothing that you can do, apart from the glitchy things that Fredrik (above) mentioned, or turning to mods.

Temporal storms are actually EASIER than normal rift activity.  Before the first 1.17 release I had drifters spawning as if it were a 1.14 temporal storm - i.e. inside my house and literally less than 3 blocks away.  After disposing of the 3 invaders to the sanctity of my home I found a rift had appeared less than 10 blocks from my front door.  About one in game month later I was fighting another horde of drifters popping into my home unannounced and not bothering with the front door.  This in 1.16.5.

As soon as spring comes and I get my first harvest of beeswax I'm crafting an ungodly number of lanterns to stave off the damned rifts. Already have a 36 skep apiary waiting for the snow to disappear.  Don't know when that'll be as it's mid-March and still getting night time temps of -15.  *sigh*

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.