Temporal Stability & Rift Activity

Rhyagelle
Go to solution Solved by Maelstrom,

Hello!

Okay, I've got to admit these mechanics are confusing the heck out of me. Normally I turn them off on SP if I can and not deal with it, but I'm on a server now and am frustrated by my confusion. So...here we go. Can someone explain these things to me, maybe like I've five? I'm trying to find a place where the gear doesn't spin counter-clockwise but that seems impossible. I've been looking for hours now, nothing. And the C menu I've been monitoring. The best I've found is "low" activity, but again, the clock always spins rapidly counter clockwise. Sometimes I find places where the gear gently moves clockwise and then counterclock wise, and then repeats. Here's a gif of what I mean for that one:

Oi2OJFN.gif

I'm aware the temporal storms are normal, or at least they were? Happens every ten days or so. I'm not confused about that one, just stability and activity. It seems like all of the map is unstable and I can't settle anywhere! Any help? Please? 😅

With the gear moving back and forth, unless someone knows more to correct me, I'm fairly certain that the idea is you are in a zone which has maxed the gear out and it is simply animating for the sake of animating rather than saying you are losing any stability. If it was only moving down, and you mouse over the gear to see you are losing stability then the area is unstable but you should be fine there, as far as I know.

• Like 1

Basically, find a place where the gear does not consistently spin counter-clockwise.  That will be a temporally stable area.  I haven't noticed my temporal gear alternate like you've shown; but I haven't looked at it too closely either.

As for the rift activity in the character screen?  That is something altogether different.  The rift activity is a global change and only indicates the likelihood of rifts spawning to then spit out drifters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maelstrom said:

Basically, find a place where the gear does not consistently spin counter-clockwise.  That will be a temporally stable area.  I haven't noticed my temporal gear alternate like you've shown; but I haven't looked at it too closely either.

As for the rift activity in the character screen?  That is something altogether different.  The rift activity is a global change and only indicates the likelihood of rifts spawning to then spit out drifters.

Okay, thank you! I've not found one place where it spins clockwise, so I'll settle for the back and forth.

As for the rift activity, since it's a global change, does that mean that they can sprout up anywhere and eventually disappear? 

The gear will only spin clockwise when you are gaining back temporal stability, when it's full and you are in a safe area it just wiggles a bit.

The Rift activity will come and go, it seems random, I just stay inside and craft stuff when the rifts are near my house at night. 

• Like 1

• Solution
19 hours ago, Rhyagelle said:

As for the rift activity, since it's a global change, does that mean that they can sprout up anywhere and eventually disappear? 

Basically, yes.  When rift activity is high rifts are likely going to appear and drifter begin spawning in the area.  Lighting can eliminate rift generation.

Before I had lanterns some rifts formed really close to my enclosed home.  I had torches lighting up the inside, but still saw drifters spawning within a few blocks of me (and appear before my eyes even!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Avarice said:

The gear will only spin clockwise when you are gaining back temporal stability, when it's full and you are in a safe area it just wiggles a bit.

The Rift activity will come and go, it seems random, I just stay inside and craft stuff when the rifts are near my house at night. 

Awesome! That explains why I have never found a place where it sit stills. lol Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Basically, yes.  When rift activity is high rifts are likely going to appear and drifter begin spawning in the area.  Lighting can eliminate rift generation.

Before I had lanterns some rifts formed really close to my enclosed home.  I had torches lighting up the inside, but still saw drifters spawning within a few blocks of me (and appear before my eyes even!)

Okay, so I've got to deal with it until I can some light sources down. If only there were more items for light sources. lol thanks so much for all of the help! I'm off to secure my area with torches! 

Edited by Rhyagelle
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.