Now? You show up NOW!? Ranching is hard!

SongOfRuth

So, after having babysat my little pit trap trying to get some sheep for a really freaking long time, I decided to go into the wild and encourage some to come home with me. I started with a group of about 3 and eventually had 6. I was using the bait and fence method used for moving livestock. I was within about a couple of hundred blocks of home when.... BEAR!!!  I teleported away barely alive, only to die on arrival because in my haste, I'd entered my coordinates a bit off. No worries. I got over my shock and TPed back to my sheep (thank goodness for that waypoint).

5 of my 6 sheep were dead. I was left with one lone ewe. Okay, I can (hopefully) always get another ram. I beefed up the walls around my slowly moving enclosure and even put a roof over it (imagine a dirt hut 8 long, 4 high, 4 wide slowly being built on one end and torn down on the other). And I made a mistake. And my dang ewe got out. I tried to keep her from gettng out. I tried to get her back in. No luck. Major frustration, so in a rage, I hunted down and killed the traitor. I was going to have to start over for a ram; I might as well start over all the way.

I walked back home. At least I'd eat good. Looked to see if I'd gotten anything in my pit trap. I did.

A RAM!  Daggone it! So now, I have a poor lonely ram along side my pigs.

Sigh.

It's hard to be a farmer-rancher!

Argh!

Yeah, our multiplayer server just started trying to trap some livestock as first winter approaches. The land was lousy with sheep just a few days ago, so none to be found NOW of course.

Also, we have a huge harvest all lined up at its last growth state at the beginning of October, and we had our first light snow. I'm watching the farm anxiously in hopes we don't lose half the crops to cold damage.

This is impressively stressful! A+ for simulation.

Also, argh.

Edited by Echoweaver
Thought of more stuff

Sinceramente ci ho rinunciato e ho messo la mod "gabbia" visto che durante lo stremming non voglio avere una settimana di Live per spostare di nuovo qualche Ariete dal punto X della Mappa a casa, dovendo sempre stare attento ai Bears (che in mio avviso avviso con 1.18 sono diventati un flagello) o ai lupi per il mio povero sedere.

Non mi aspetto che gli animali ti seguano come in Minecraft. Anche lì lo trovo sbagliato come metodo, ma dubito che in realtà i bovini si muovano così con difficoltà, ma nemmeno in passato. Sono sicuro che avevano sistemi più efficaci.

Edited by Jackal Black

It's actually pretty easy to be a rancher. You just build a farmhouse out near wherever you caught your animals. Pigs do just fine left by their lonesome, as long as you build a pen with enough troughs. Sheep you need to have a little more active hand in milking, so live in that house until you build up your stock of cheese sufficiently. Bring along some forging and cooking ingredients and whatever else there for the time being. Once you are cheesed up, then you can move back to your city house with an inventory full of sealed crocks and whatever else trips your trigger.

I tried the passive method of building 2-block pits where we want to have our livestock enclosures and putting filled troughs at the bottom. That has worked better than I expected. We caught a family spawn of wild pigs after just a few days an now have a boar, a pregnant sow, a sow who will mate in the next two days, and a third sow. A few days later, we caught a longhorn ewe. Since I don't think we can shear wool (yet), she won't be useful until we can trap a ram, but I'm hopeful.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.