obsidian help

1Joachim1
Go to solution Solved by Giciel,

Hi guys, i'm interested on farming obsidian (for quarried blocks) in somewhat of a "survival" way. now that geological activity is on the game i thought i could find lava on surface levels or at least "cheating" and swapping the hot springs water with lava once i get to the iron age so i have to work around fluid physics once i begin the farming... I've been lurking through the forums and i only found a post from Devilofether back in 2020 HERE and as you can see he has a picture of an obsidian generator which is amazing but sadly it's quite dark, i don't mind the stones so basically the machine will be handy however he says that the generator produces basalt by default but it can produce obsidian if you put a bit of manual labor.

i really don't understand how obsidian generation works, what "quirks" he is mentioning and at the end, how the machine works at all.

Right now i can't really play the game even tho the steam deck has proved that it's a godsend because work is stealing all my life but i wanted to plan a bit ahead when i have 10 minutes to spare.

can someone help me with a bit of an explanation on what's going on on that post?

• Like 1

Hello, I looked at the post and I'm a bit confused but I think I understood some.

When the lava source spill down, it will be in contact with the water source therefor making a basalt/stone block (I think).
But if you place a water source right under it, it should make an obsidian block.

I still don't understand why there's two basalt block under the lava source and wth is a quarried stone like it's a different entity than a stone.

Sorry if this doesn't help much I'm not quite at that stage of the game yet.

11 hours ago, Giciel said:

Hello, I looked at the post and I'm a bit confused but I think I understood some.

When the lava source spill down, it will be in contact with the water source therefor making a basalt/stone block (I think).
But if you place a water source right under it, it should make an obsidian block.

I still don't understand why there's two basalt block under the lava source and wth is a quarried stone like it's a different entity than a stone.

Sorry if this doesn't help much I'm not quite at that stage of the game yet.

thanks for the repply. and don't worry about not knowing much we are here to help each other :D . for "quarry stone" people refer to the extraction of the raw, intact, block. instead of mining it with a pickaxe which produces little stones (that you can combine with clay to make a cobble block). that raw block can be used to make the Quern (it specifically requires an igneus rock type tho, so Granite, Andesite, Basalt and Peridotite), it can be used too in decorations or to have different chisel options; I believe the game refers to this process as "relieve rock " basically if you expose the 6 sides of the raw stone block to air, it "puffs out" dropping as a placeable item, which is really nice because some textures are great, however it's a PAIN to get a lot of. and thus, why i was looking for that kind of machine, because instead of mining 5-6 blocks to get a single quarried block (that's the 5:1 ratio) with only one is enough (1:1)

thank you really, i think i understand a bit more of the machine. 

it's fun because explaining this mechanic to you made me realize the fact that probably the second block is created out of nowhere to prevent the original block to "puff out" in the same manner as it would happen if you relieve/quarry them in a cave .

Edited by 1Joachim1
added extra info.

9 hours ago, 1Joachim1 said:

for "quarry stone" people refer to the extraction of the raw, intact, block. instead of mining it with a pickaxe which produces little stones (that you can combine with clay to make a cobble block).

Oh ok i get it now and yes as you said it is a pain to get without a generator. And i'm glad you could understand about this contraption.

53 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

That obsidian creation through that mechanic may still exist, but the water mechanics have DEFINITELY changed now that partial blocks can be waterlogged.  Changes to the obsidian generator pictured will likely be required.

We might have to add some changes to the build but I wondered how applicable is it in survival ? In the original post he said that lava couldn't be moved, is it still a thing ? or can you find lava elsewhere than the bottom of the world ?

I'm somewhat confident I could tinker something similar in creative but in survival ?

15 hours ago, Giciel said:

In the original post he said that lava couldn't be moved, is it still a thing ? or can you find lava elsewhere than the bottom of the world ?

in theory you can't move lava, even tho there are mods that allow for that, but specifically 1.18 added the "Geologic activity system" which has the chance to create lava rivers closer to the surface so they are most likely gonna be underground. but that feature was the inspiration for this plan to begin with.  i don't really mind making a "excavation site" and build some dwarf-sized forge (so, massive) underground in order to make use of the lava. if anything, it will make the process a bit more epic at least xD

16 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

That obsidian creation through that mechanic may still exist, but the water mechanics have DEFINITELY changed now that partial blocks can be waterlogged.  Changes to the obsidian generator pictured will likely be required.

ugh, that's a bit demotivational to be honest. i've played the game a few times but never got into "deep/advanced mechanics" such as the chiseling or water/lava works i've never been a good builder, i'm more of an automation/machinist guy.. i guess i'll get my hands dirty in a creative world and see what i can figure out.

• Solution

Hey back on this topic again.

It's not really complicated, you just need water, lava and slabs.image.thumb.png.185ca9c76850a4dc608d2f5c41cf3880.png

The obsidian creation does not consume the water block, the slabs are here for the first obsidian block to be quarried by breaking the second one.
Then you can put whatever hopper system right under it (You can't place a hopper right under the first obsidian block because water flow through it and it will create an obsidian block, breaking the hopper).

I'm sure there is optimization to be made be hey you get the basic idea.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.