Seawater desalination

urnsudden

Just got Vintage story this week, haven't been playing long, but from what I gather, saltwater's kind of a super new development. Salt being huge in food preservation, I feel like you should be able to precipitate it out of ocean water, be it through historically accurate basin flooding techniques or just cooking it in a fire. Might already be in-game and hasn't been documented yet, but reading the wiki 
(I feel like playing this without the wiki is a little masochistic lol) I saw "Halite is the only current source of salt in Vintage Story" and figured I should mention something.

Yes, salty ocean water is new with the latest update.  Salt can be obtained by purchasing it from the correct trader or mining.  To mine it you need find a salt dome or a dry lake bed in a desert.  

The Expanded Foods mod gives an option to precipitate salt from any water, iirc.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Yes, salty ocean water is new with the latest update.  Salt can be obtained by purchasing it from the correct trader or mining.  To mine it you need find a salt dome or a dry lake bed in a desert.  

The Expanded Foods mod gives an option to precipitate salt from any water, iirc.

Nope, salt water only as of 1.18. 

Edited by l33tmaan
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, @urnsudden!

Wiki is not a great way to learn the game. There's a lot of outdated stuff. You are much better off trying to figure out the in-game Handbook. That said, it's really hard to find out about seawater unless you fill a bucket with the stuff or happen to look up water. Is there any indication you are about to water your crops with salt water? I have no idea, actually.

Yeah, sea salt would be nice addition. There are two different mods that I'm aware of that do it. The already mentioned Expanded Foods is available early, and is fairly quick for small quantities, and I forget, Fields of Salt, maybe, is much later because of required materials for evaporation pools, but it makes LOTS of salt. Would be kind of cool to just be able to fill bowls with sea water and set them in the sun for a day or two for a very small amount of salt. No tending a fire; limited only by the number of bowls you are willing to make and set out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.