Vintage Story is not worth the Time or Money.

Sabrium48

I'd add my dittos to what's said above. The brand new machine my IT guy has on his desk sometimes crashes out, too, while it's still playing fine on even as low as a few i3s, though most of my LAN machines are i5s and i7s. A couple i9s. The fact his whizbang machine crashes and our others do not strongly suggests it's a machine issue rather than a game issue. It could be simply that some of the 3rd party libraries have timing issues on sufficiently fast machines with enough cores. Issues that cannot be duplicated without a machine of that caliber. 

10 hours ago, Miguel Coelho said:

I understand that sometimes things are not as simple as "contact support". I've done support for a company, and have had my fair share of using it and not succeeding, especially when it comes to games. However, just 2 questions that I'm curious about:

1. If one of the machines doesn't bug out, have you started using it as the server? Wouldn't that provide a better experience?
  2. The fact that the machine is newer doesn't mean there may not be other issues at hand. Have you run any form of diagnostics on your machine? Checking if RAM is stable, if there are no disk errors, or the typical SFC /scannow and dism commands to stabilize the OS?

The machine that bugs out has always been a client. The stable machine has always been the server. 

8 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I'd add my dittos to what's said above. The brand new machine my IT guy has on his desk sometimes crashes out, too, while it's still playing fine on even as low as a few i3s, though most of my LAN machines are i5s and i7s. A couple i9s. The fact his whizbang machine crashes and our others do not strongly suggests it's a machine issue rather than a game issue. It could be simply that some of the 3rd party libraries have timing issues on sufficiently fast machines with enough cores. Issues that cannot be duplicated without a machine of that caliber. 

To answer both of you, the machine currently bugging out played very well for over 100 hours for the same game game/same world with 100s of mods. Now it won't play for even vanilla. I don't think the hardware/timing/etc straws we are clutching at decided to suddenly manifest as a gremlin *after* 3+ weeks of good behaviour and precisely after making a JSON recipe change.

In the interests of fairness, here's my resolution to the game failure issue.

The discussions I had with others here helped in closure. Special thanks to @Miguel Coelho who suggested sfc /scannonw that set this entire course.

I have given the full account, so it can help someone facing the same issue.

- surio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For people who don't know, a very common source of issues for PC games is when the RAM being managed by your OS, has access violation because a game or other program tries to access the same address that the OS thinks it has no permission to do so, so your OS basically 'crashes' the program instead of trying to resolve it (typically in older OS this results in a BSOD).

It's something called Memory Access Violation.

It also happens if your OS has corrupt files, and the longer you use a PC, installing programs, playing games, and moving files around, the higher the chances of these corruption appearing without you noticing.

Only a clean reinstall of Windows clears them temporarily, because these are inevitable when a system starts to get old.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 5:32 PM, Sabrium48 said:

We have created Five Worlds now and made significant progress in each just to have them crash and become corrupted.

My Wife and I have decided to go back to the other more stable Block Game, and will be deleting this one.

Don't get me wrong, this Game is very fun, challenging and rewarding, but there is nothing more punishing and frustrating then watching your time and effort go down the Drain.

Yes, we have been using a few Mods.

Better Ruins, Yabba Forge, and Anvil Metal Recovery+.

That's very sad, especially since 1) at least in mine and many other people's experience the game is very stable and 2) backups could've prevented this problem.

I've only experienced crashing one time and it was after an update on a unstable version and the crash was caused by a mod NOT the game and it didn't cause any other problem.

I wonder what was actually causing the problem, because this is certainly not the norm 🤔

Many times people blame the game even tho it was actually a mod or user error, but it's easier to just bust out the blamethrower 🤷

Hopefully you can figure out what the real problem was and a solution so you can enjoy the game.

Also, backups, whether you're playing this block game or the other block game, backups are your friend 👍😉👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the game and threw many hours into it, I have a nice starting home built and several large fields growing crops,  but honestly, I'm going to uninstall it and move on. 

I'm playing on vanilla, with no mods to learn the game and I find things needlessly complex with a lack of fun in the early game. It seems like a lot of the mods are 'quality of life', meaning they fix something un-fun or frustrating in the game. That seems to be a problem with the developer of the game if their vision is what is making everything so frustrating. Smithing broke me. I just wanted a fething sawblade. I was so looking forward to having a saw and being able to build so many things. Trying to figure out how to move the voxels around to make the sawblade caused me endless frustration, and I've done blacksmithing in real life. Reading about the fun of prospecting, I just can't see myself putting in the huge amount of hours to progress in this game. 

It's obvious some people enjoy it, just not for me.

Sorry about your bad experience. Mine was not much better, but I got through it. Like you, I wanted a saw, and it took me probably a dozen ingots. (After figuring it out, I think I could have saved it with just the one original, but I hadn't figured out how to pull voxels? voxettes? back onto the plane you can move them around on.) It wasn't intuitive what the colors of the cubes meant. Not to me, anyway. And unlike knapping, which you cannot mess up, and clay, which not only can you losslessly fix, you can't go on until you get it right, smithing doesn't allow much margin for error, a lot of it really difficult to figure out how to undo. The top of the anvil (iron) allows no screw-ups at all without costing you another ingot.

What would really help is if you could cancel the job and get the ingot back so you can try again. Have you considered setting up a creative world (or even just entering creative mode and replacing the ingot) to learn on? I wish I had done so early on rather than getting as frustrated as I did. It wasn't anywhere near as complicated as I was making it once I understood what I was looking at, and what I was trying to make it look like. If that feels too much like cheating, just throw the saw into a cavern when you are done and it will despawn, and all you are out is a few game hours, and maybe a half hour of real time.

Prospecting isn't as hard as people make it, either. What makes it complicated is insisting on understanding what's going on under the hood. Keep it simple. Don't worry about numbers or chunks or rock strata or anything like that. Sure, you are not going to find anything in bauxite, but your prospecting will tell you that if you don't remember it, and it only cost you 3 durability to find out. Do some prospecting, drop vertical shafts at the highest readings you find that are at least "decent", and if that hole comes up dry, try another one a dozen or so blocks away. Node search mode is unnecessary. I even forget it's an option when playing Survival.

It's not really a cozy farming game or anything like that, nor is it hardcore survival, but somewhere in between, with the opportunity for a lot of creativity. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, no. But there's no such thing as an unrecoverable error, either, unless one is a min-max perfectionist or insists on playing Permadeath.

• Like 2

This sounds very much like modern gaming culture: imperfections are equated to the worst things ever. That there were problems for you does NOT mean the game isn't worth the time or money. At the minimum you should have tried to get some help, and then at least tried to run the game without mods.

I recommend this for every game ever: Play it vanilla first as much as you possibly can. Maybe with a patch mod. but when you've played the game five times with mods every time and then had it crash every time, maybe try it vanilla. Just saying. And try to get help from forums or devs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.