Vintage Story is not worth the Time or Money.

Sabrium48

We have created Five Worlds now and made significant progress in each just to have them crash and become corrupted.

My Wife and I have decided to go back to the other more stable Block Game, and will be deleting this one.

Don't get me wrong, this Game is very fun, challenging and rewarding, but there is nothing more punishing and frustrating then watching your time and effort go down the Drain.

Yes, we have been using a few Mods.

Better Ruins, Yabba Forge, and Anvil Metal Recovery+.

Edited by Sabrium48
  • Wolf Bait 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Did you try to contact some kind of support? I have experienced something like that a few months ago and Tyron was very helpful to solve that. And after few days everything works fine for me. Unfortunately the game is still in development and in early access so sometimes bug happening. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Surely you talk about Minecraft, you don't have to be ashamed to say it or be afraid, no one kills you here.
However, to say that that game is more stable than Vintage, this is laughable, just think of the heavy drops in FPS that the game brings if you dare to increase the viewing distance of the Chunks and if you add mods, that the game begins to show all its flaws. At least you're not talking about the Badrock Edition version, clearly 1000 times more stable than Java (I play with 99 Chunk viewing) but with the only flaw... that there are no real mods but only Add- on..... which invalidates it a lot, and the much acclaimed RTX function... well it's a rip off. Meanwhile, there are only set Jaw-breaking worlds where you can't start your own survival game... you look at those worlds, you just drool over them...
The RTX Nvidea packages for those who want, have not been updated for years now, and therefore after all the latest additions from Mojang they do not work.
So you have to resort to RTX packages created by users who however.... release them via Patreon....
Not to mention that the Java Version and Badrock still have too many differences... so I don't know where you see all this stability you're talking about.

Now going back to what happened to you, I've been playing Vintage for at least 1 year now and the only world I "lost" was when there was the transition to 1.18, I'll put it between commas, because it wasn't lost, I'm the one who decided to start from scratch as I wanted to take advantage of the new worldgen. And believe me, I use many, many more mods than you.

I wouldn't want the world to be corrected for you or because you made the mistake of porting your world to the Test version of the new 1.19 without making a minimum backup.
Or does the problem come from your PC, because if the game was working until the other day I doubt it's the fault of some mod, or did you just need to remove the last mod inserted, or see if it has been updated perhaps?

I would follow the advice of hearing Tyron before throwing mud for free on a game that in my opinion beats Minecraft hands down despite having existed for many fewer years and with a significantly smaller team.

Someone who played Minecraft for 6 years tells you this, I know all the flaws of the title and also its pros precisely because it was a game I loved.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just because its unstable for you, doesnt mean its unstable in general.

I for one, am using like 50-60 mods and i have never crased once in like 80 hours or something.

Edit: Maybe if you'd tell us what your crash log or error message says we'd be able to figure out why you're crashing.

Edited by NastyFlytrap
  • Like 5

I once accidentally ruined my save while using a mod for version 0.15 instead of 0.18. I just couldn't resist giving it a try! However, the good news is that all I had to do to fix it was to remove the incorrect mod and use the "/fixmapping applyall" command. I didn't have a backup at that time, but I've learned the importance of making backups, especially when you're adding or removing mods. The vanilla game runs incredibly smoothly, and I have to say, for an early access game, it's truly awesome.

• Like 5

@Sabrium48 If you'd like assistance, I'm certain that the good people of these forums would like to help.  It'd go a long way to resolving the issue if you provided crash logs, system specifications, your dotnet version, and mod versions.  For my part I can certainly give advice on linux distro trouble shooting, but most are likely more familiar with windows.

Edited by Cosmic Hermit
  • Like 4

Uh, you made 5 worlds and each of them crashed/corrupted yet you just reported this now? Why didn't you report it after the 1st or 2nd world? You could have posted the saves so that people/developer can try to restore/fix your world. We know nothing about your situation except you have mods and the game crashed.

"but there is nothing more punishing and frustrating then watching your time and effort go down the Drain"

It is possible that the mods corrupted the world(s) but you didn't even try to troubleshoot it seems. If I was watching my 'time and effort go down the Drain' I'd immediately ask the forums or at least the developer for help but that is just me. I'd also make a backup of the world before a new major release but again that is just me.

I've played VS for a while and I've only seen crashes when the game is trying to load old mods that weren't updated to the more recent VS version. Updating to the newer versions of those mods or removing the mods that only supported older versions fixed my issues.

You are welcome to come back when a more 'stable' version is released. Just remember to update those old mods!

• Like 4

On 11/3/2023 at 7:00 AM, NastyFlytrap said:

I for one, am using like 50-60 mods and i have never crased once in like 80 hours or something.

Edit: Maybe if you'd tell us what your crash log or error message says we'd be able to figure out why you're crashing.

I'm going to have to agree here, I run a server that has quite a lot of folks on at once with 55 mods, and no one ever seems to have issues. If they do, the crash log is extremely important when it comes to diagnosing the issue. When in doubt, you can always ask in https://discord.com/channels/302152934249070593/418475092138393600 The folks are super helpful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be great to have a mod compatibility checker. The modders at Kerbal Space Program made one and it helped greatly keeping everyone's game running smoothly. It's nice to have the mods list in the game, but a checker would be good to make sure the mods installed are for the right version. I had a mod installed for a pre-release and it crashed my game every time. I have about 90 mods installed, so it took some time to find the problem.

Also, I want to add that Anvil Metal Recovery should be vanilla.

Edited by Majn9n
  • Like 1

If so many worlds got corrupted, you need to look at your machine. There's something on it causing these issues. It isn't the game. Once or twice, I'm sure game-related issues might have caused it for you, but five distinct times? That would have to mean it's a common issue that effects multiple people, but it simply doesn't. I would definitely look at your computer for it is, 99.9%, the root cause of your problems. 

Unless you were playing with mods, and didn't care to maintain them. That isn't on the game. That's on you. 

It's unfortunate that you've experienced that but I find it very odd having played for a long time.

For instance, I've had the same save since like 1.13/14 and it still works great in 1.18. I've put over 1000 hours into that save over many game versions and used the majority of the mods that have been created for the game. Moreover, I've migrated that save between three computers as I upgraded over the years. Besides a little lag and loading time, I've never had a critical issue with that save even in updates.

I exported the base area to a new map in 1.18 and it's been persistently smooth and reliable. Tyrons always takes care of any major issues and goes a long way to make sure there is stability (quality IMO). 

Edited by Rufkut
  • Like 3
  • Amazing! 1

I am fairly new here, and i don't have days of playing VS, but having some experience in developping and fixing computer issues, I can definitely tell that having 5 worlds suddenly crashing is not normal.

First, as a lot of people already told you, if they all suddenly crashed and got corrupted, that cannot be the game, or at least, it cannot be while using the game the right way. You where apparently using mods, and as another minecraft player, i have to ask you : did you checked if your mods where working, not only when you downloaded them, but also when updating them, to the point you pushed your computer to his limits ? I was doing so when i was playing minecraft, and i never lost a game due to mod incompatibility when i did so.

Then, how did you reacted when you lost your world ? Did you tryed to make new worlds without mods to see if it worked again ? Did you tried to play again with a different version of the mods ? When reading your message, i felt like you didn't even tried to make it work ...

I might thinking about it too quickely, but i feel like you just rage quit like a kid, without trying to fix things, without even trying to ask for help. I feel a bit like your message means just "good bye, and have this never-responding message to talk with", and this is very triggering for me. Even more since you just said :"this more stable block game". I hope your not talking about minecraft. I played this game for multiple years, I don't remember exactly how much, but this is around 10, and i almost never felt like this game was stable and well made (feeling that just grew with time) . Between the language it have been programmed with, the bugs that end up beeing called features instead of getting fixed, the lack of realism so high i don't understand how i have been able to afford it, and even the developpement team that feel more and more like they think of us as dupe and easy money, i cannot let you say that. Minecraft suck, and i've been dumb trying to hope they will change and begin making minecraft a good game for 10 long years.

If you want help, first, help yourself. If you don't try to find the reason why your saves got corrupted, you will never get them back. Give logs, told what you did before the crash, and after it too. If you don't know how to get them, and have no idea why things didn't worked out for you, don't say "Vintage Story is not worth the Time or Money" or "I will be deleting this game". Say "I got all of my worlds corrupted, i don't have/know how to get logs, and i don't know what kind of information you need". This is way better. You have the right not to know even the most basics stuff. You have right to have issues. And you definitely do not have the right to stop everything because you got something that didn't go your way.

And if you don't want to report issues 24/7, just don't do the thing that make them happen : don't download update who are still snapshots or pre-release, which have chances not to work, check your game version and mods version before playing, after every new mod download and game/mod update, and think, before or after rage quit, i don't care about that. But just think about why things didn't worked out.

And let me repeat, i have experience in computer science and i played minecraft during ten long years, with mods and without mods. I know a bit what i am talking about.

And anyway, this game is still early access. He is not finished yet. Did you seriously expect not to have a single bug, or a single crash ? That's exactly why this forum is here. Stop using it to say "this unfinished game is not finished, i quit playing", and start saying "this unfinished game could be improved by doing ... , and I got the bug that do ... that must be corrected".

Sorry if i look a bit aggressive, but this kind of comment angered me a bit.

EDIT : You can also check already existing discussions and reports before creating a new ont. It actually is even better.

Edited by ArthoPleura
Forgot to mention something
  • Like 5

On 11/18/2023 at 10:35 PM, Majn9n said:

It would be great to have a mod compatibility checker. The modders at Kerbal Space Program made one and it helped greatly keeping everyone's game running smoothly. It's nice to have the mods list in the game, but a checker would be good to make sure the mods installed are for the right version. I had a mod installed for a pre-release and it crashed my game every time. I have about 90 mods installed, so it took some time to find the problem.

Also, I want to add that Anvil Metal Recovery should be vanilla.

When you go into mods ans click reload mods, it shows which ones have a non matching version...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 7:00 AM, NastyFlytrap said:

ive got 285 about the same amount of mods and dont crash either, once in a blue maybe from adding a new mod that maybe broken , but never has ruined my game after removing it 

OP basically sent that and never re-visited the post again ':/

I might as well throw in my two dimes. I'm one of those people that try to play with as little mods as possible. I currently have 1 mod, and that is related to bed respawn, other than that I'm all vanilla.

But since some people in this thread play with 50+ mods, i do wonder.. What do all those mods do? Are they changing the way the game is played, or how does it affect your game/world and most importantly, your frames /sec?

15 hours ago, Kriss said:

I might as well throw in my two dimes. I'm one of those people that try to play with as little mods as possible. I currently have 1 mod, and that is related to bed respawn, other than that I'm all vanilla.

But since some people in this thread play with 50+ mods, i do wonder.. What do all those mods do? Are they changing the way the game is played, or how does it affect your game/world and most importantly, your frames /sec?

There are so many mods available that cover all manner of things. I'm sure it would depend on what sort of mod(s) you choose to install. For myself (and I haven't played in awhile), there were several quality of life mods that I used to use. I wouldn't play without Copygirl's Carry Capacity, which is now (last time I looked) Carry On. Others will chime in, I'm sure, but I did eventually expand to maybe 10-12 mods and never experienced any problem. Anyway, take a look at the options - there are some really good mods for this game: https://mods.vintagestory.at/home

eta: realized this morning that I should have mentioned most of my quality of life mods have already been addressed in the game and no longer require modding

Edited by dakko

13 hours ago, Kriss said:

For me its mostly creature mods, to make the world livelier

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 6:02 AM, Sabrium48 said:

We have created Five Worlds now and made significant progress in each just to have them crash and become corrupted.

My Wife and I have decided to go back to the other more stable Block Game, and will be deleting this one.

Don't get me wrong, this Game is very fun, challenging and rewarding, but there is nothing more punishing and frustrating then watching your time and effort go down the Drain.

Yes, we have been using a few Mods.

Better Ruins, Yabba Forge, and Anvil Metal Recovery+.

Glad everyone that has responded seemed to have a great time with the game and the support. I'll address some points people brought up.

For what it's worth, I will chime in and be the dissenting voice. I can relate as I am also in a similar situation. Like OP it's the only way I play this, LAN multiplayer with family. I have three machines running this and it's crashing only on one machine. It's a new SSD and a powerful laptop. I removed all the mods, tried vanilla and ever reinstalled VS on this machine hoping that will fix it. Alas no. FWIW, I have been debugging non-stop to try and fix things. My situation is odd because the client running the world and another pc running a similar setup (modded and vanilla) works well. only one machine bugs out.

I have pinged team members on discord as well on this. Not a single one responded or said Boo. So, all hypotheticals aside, "contacting support and they'll fix it for you" doesn't always pan out how you want it.

I have made an entry in forums as well hoping that someone can provide a way out. You may check it and help if you can.

Happy to work along with someone in dev team to get it resolved as I paid for 3 licences and not playing at all. And the worlds seem to develop an issue around the 80+ hours mark. The last one that I am struggling with seemed to give problems for one machine at 100 hour mark.

2 hours ago, surio said:

It's a new SSD and a powerful laptop. I removed all the mods, tried vanilla and ever reinstalled VS on this machine hoping that will fix it. Alas no. FWIW, I have been debugging non-stop to try and fix things. My situation is odd because the client running the world and another pc running a similar setup (modded and vanilla) works well. only one machine bugs out.

I understand that sometimes things are not as simple as "contact support". I've done support for a company, and have had my fair share of using it and not succeeding, especially when it comes to games. However, just 2 questions that I'm curious about:

1. If one of the machines doesn't bug out, have you started using it as the server? Wouldn't that provide a better experience?
  2. The fact that the machine is newer doesn't mean there may not be other issues at hand. Have you run any form of diagnostics on your machine? Checking if RAM is stable, if there are no disk errors, or the typical SFC /scannow and dism commands to stabilize the OS?

I forget sometimes (most times) that this game is beta, and there will be issues. A journal/log kept by the individual player to further document what those breakages are can be helpful.  As well as backups of what ever can be backed up (before the issues occur).  

Like most individuals, I rarely back up and have payed the price of rebuilding more than a few times in general with things computer/phone related. Did I learn?  maybe not. I mean when I'm on guard, I will.  (the OP cycled through 5 times, shields up!)

And if the issue can't be repeated, its tough to offer/solve in a helpful way.

Game software isn't really meant to diagnose hardware or OS issues.  There are other dedicated softwares that do that a bit better.  At best, the game can hint that an issue might be elsewhere beyond the games domain idk

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.