Annoying Animal Husbandry

UnholyEvangelist

Anyone find getting animals into a fence is SUPER annoying? Like they either run off or destroy you. Not only that when you finally get them into a hole and sheep just jump 5 blocks out of the hole like why? There is annoying like drifters sniping you with pinpoint accuracy, then there is sheep disappearing because they jump passed any fence you put around them. I finally just said screw it and put them in a hole with a rim around it.

Edited by UnholyEvangelist
  • Wolf Bait 1

Welcome to Vintage Story mate, where even the dirt wants to kill you.

Seriously though, the animals got tweaked in 1.19 and the devs are still working some of that out.  Probably the best way to go with gathering animals is to set some traps to transport the young to a penned in environment.  May want to consider a lit barn (needs to have a light source in it lest the animal despawn).

You can do a trough line.

Animals are passively attracted to troughs that contain food they will accept, and it's a fairly good range. So if there's a series of troughs leading back to your base, each with one item of food in it, then an animal will follow them all the way to where you want it.

It may take a day or two to arrive, but you can do other things in the meantime.

• Like 2

I've attempted those trough lines and had difficulty with them.  The range is about 35 blocks.  If you're in an area that does not have animals close by chaining troughs becomes troublesome.  Especially if there's multiple animals to move.  One animal will advance and eat what's in the next trough while the other hangs out at the previous one.  I don't bother with this method if I have to attract animals from farther than 50 blocks.

• Like 1

That's the problem, @Maelstrom, you have to be patient and wait for all the critters to move closer before you let that trough go empty. I don't know what it is, maybe the feed time is "randomly" determined per animal or something, but not all will migrate at the same time. On the other hand, it means you can make an effective trough line with only 2 troughs.

Largely not a problem with pigs anymore. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.