Driftor combat re-work

Ben Mak

I love this game until it comes down to fighting driftors the it all falls apart for me i love the concept and look of driftors but fighting them is not hard it is just unfair there not viable strat except for boxing your self in and cheesing them through a kill hole which is just feels cheap all i ask is for them to not be able to attack through my shield. It's got to a point now where i have to remove them from the game and replace them with outlaws and dangerous wildlife mods to not have a really bad a frustrating time when I'm playing which would be fine except for when i want to play online when that's not an option. I love your game and everything that you do but please just make the combat follow some sort of reliable logic please so I don't feel cheated by the game when i play.

What specifically are you finding unfair? The unerring aim with rocks? Yeah, that kind of bites, but it's not all that much damage. Just keep a stack of poultices and you are good to go. Melee combat? Yeah, those buggers hit hard. You might want to use a shield. I'm no good at it, but one of the guys who works for me can go through one drifter after another without taking damage. The loot? Yeah, that stinks. Hardly worth bothering with unless you want to set a spawn point or fix translocators.

Personally, when I have no choice, I'm a spear guy. Ideally obsidian, but flint is plenty. My usual tactic is live and let live. They despawn once you are out of range. 

• Like 1

The way shields work and why drifters can attack through it is a result of bad luck. Holding a shield gives it a low chance of blocking, and crouching while holding one gives it a very high chance of blocking.
Also armour goes a long way during combat. You definitely want to get some decent armour.

I agree that in the future combat could be reworked to be more in-depth, but as it currently is, you can just pillar up 2 blocks and/or equip a shield and drifters become much less of a threat.

Consider running THROUGH drifters.  Timing a melee attack (much easier with an axe than a falx) while constantly running allows you to land a hit and be on to the next target before the drifter can respond.  Additionally, remaining constantly on the move makes drifters less accurate in their ranged attack.

Unconventional, but I'm an out-of-the-box kind of guy.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

LOL  The only way drifters would be throwing my food in my face is if they opened the chest and dug out the sealed crock of food.

Have you seen the number of loose stones on the ground, though?  It makes sense why they're always throwing stones.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.