Having trouble finding Copper

SalamiKiwami
Go to solution Solved by Thorfinn,

If you can't find much surface nuggets, panning is absolutely an option! This can often result in other useful items to be found as well, and I do pan as soon as I can when starting fresh.

Most of the time when I find surface copper, I'm not actively looking for it, but often just stumble upon the rocks while looking for other resources.

• Like 1

If you are playing on Standard settings, there are a lot of surface copper deposits. On Survival, it's pretty rare.

Commodity traders often sell copper and tin bits. Panning bony soil and exploring ruins is a good way to get valuables for trading.

You can find copper and bronze tools in loot vessels in ruins (including pickaxes). You can also buy pickaxes from traders. All you absolutely need for getting started with metal working is a hammer (isn't sold by traders or found as loot), which requires 20 copper bits.

• Like 1

• Solution

Spotting resources is an art. It takes some time to get good at it. I play with a guy who is awesome at it. Puts me to shame.

Elevation helps a lot. Even 10 tiles above the ground is enough to see over all the high grass, 15 is better, 25 is about the limit of what I find useful for spotting copper. It gives you useful eyes on pretty much everything within 25-30 blocks, so some 3k blocks. Anything much further than that you can't really distinguish rock from copper (or at least I can't) unless in basalt. 35-64 or more is great for getting overall lay of the land, as well as spotting every clay and peat deposit, most crops, all berries, more or less all critters, all ruins, all traders, probably 1/3 of the resin that isn't obscured by needles, most of the TP/HFS, etc. Nerdpoles work, ladders work better. To get good at what things look like from that perspective, use Spear and Fang's Zoom Button, but before long you will find you don't need it anymore. In single-player, you can even open the handbook, slide it out of the way, and pause your game while you develop the skill of taking it all in at a glance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.