Quenching

Traditionally quenching has been used for thousands of years, it can be done in water to quickly cool a piece but more often it is done in oil for a controlled descent of the temperature allowing the metal crystals to align in a way that increases hardness, this could be a method to increase durability in oil and also quenching in water to quickly cool a piece down, another fun thing that might be cool for molds would be the ability to either poor water on the hot molds with either a bucket, jug or using the watering can to cool them quickly.

ye could repair durability, but ye in real life u cant just hit a piece of metal and it becomes a sharp blade. persoanlly id like to see a compete rework of the skills traits system, to incorporate skills that effect qulity and durability of items and such but maybe ive just been playing project zomboid too much.. lol

• 2 weeks later...

There's the XSkills mod, which seems itself modular enough to have more perks added which can do what you ask, though I'm no modder and I'm illiterate to code. But the default ones do allow you to extend the lifespan of tools and also improve smithing quality based on how many levels you've gained in the skill (though it takes quite a bit of time to get to a point where the quality won't be bad lol practice makes perfect)

Personally I think that adding sharpness with a whetstone would be fantastic, adding a temporary bonus to damage for a number of swings perhaps at the cost of a point or two of durability. It'd make you resharpen your weapons and tools before embarking on each journey, or can be entirely ignored to retain the current system. It'd have to be toyed around with; I dunno what would be a good addition in that regard either, but it would be nice to have a means of repairing tools or at least displaying them on a wall or smth if you've grown somewhat attached to, say, your very first pickaxe.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.