Suggestion retracted - Adjustment for single player, versus multiplayer?

Spoke too soon with not having played enough of the game. See my last comment.

Hello! :)

While I love this game, I've been playing single player, and it seems grindy in nature in that format, and am wondering if it would make sense to have different settings to gather more resources and speed up processes?

Edited by jumpityjumpjump
Retracting suggestion

Which parts are you finding grindy?

About the only part I run into is the ~1000 reeds I need first year. Of course I wouldn't need so many if I weren't such a wanker building 6x6 or even 8x8 apiaries. Used to be a mod that allowed splitting cattail roots. A  @Vinter Nacht mod, I think. On the Beach or something like that. His From Golden Combs mod is really good for reusable hives, but IMO, its a little grindy in itself.

I don't know that I'd call flax too grindy -- just two plantings is all I ever do. Most of the clayforming is not too bad once you figure out the easiest way to make something, then put between 4 and 8 of them in a circle around you, (that works better than putting them in a line for me) so that you are only changing the tool once for the whole bunch. And it's not like you need more than a couple dozen anyway. The helve hammer takes most of the tedium out of metalworking. 

If you wanted a floor of polished malachite, yeah, that could get a little grindy. OK, a lot grindy.

Hi Thorfinn, :)

I'm finding all of it grindy, but particularly stick harvesting, and reed, and now mining. Also, the time to fire pottery, make charcoal, use the bloomery, and bake bread in the clay oven. I figure in multiplayer with several players, and with each person doing something different to add to the overall progress, or combining in the same activity, things would go much quicker.

This is an issue I've seen in other games that were intentionally designed to be multiplayer first, and then they tacked on a badly made singleplayer.  A good real life example is, Ark: Survival Evolved. To make their official singleplayer version not anywhere near grindy, a lot of server config settings have to be changed to increase resource gathering, be able to non-destructively deconstruct building components, and decrease the time for things to happen, like taming a creature.

This one is the other way around. A pretty solid single player experience with a clunky multiplayer bolted on.

[EDIT]

Why is sticking so bad? After about the second night, I'm done sticking until I can make the shears, and at that point, sticking is trivial.

Are you sure you are not overdoing the early mining? You only need enough copper and bronze to get you to iron, and once you have that, mining becomes pretty fast, unless you are trying to quarry solid blocks for a mansion or something. I doubt I spend even a whole day mining until I have iron tools.

The game strongly encourages rushing to iron.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

I gotta agree with @Thorfinn on this one.  The only thing I would consider grindy is mass deforestation to create sufficient charcoal to fuel my steel furnaces.  But even that isn't too bad given a pine tree farm and iron axes.

If one has a background in the minecraft auto-farms then I could see how VS would feel grindy, but that's the sole fault of minecraft making everything entirely too easy to accomplish and not VS accomplishing its goals.

Fair, @Maelstrom. I mostly do steel just to satisfy the completionist part of me. 10-20% improvement in relevant stats, and doubled durability just is not worth the hassle to me. For shovels, I think it does nothing for me but durability, for axes, it's a few chops faster for a big tree, but by then, what's the point? So once I build a full set of steel tools, finis. My only metal armor (that I'll never wear -- it's for the armor stand only) is meteoric, just because I like the looks of the set. If there were something after steel, yeah, I'd probably make more, but at that point, with nothing significant to do, I'd rather just restart and play the parts of the game I enjoy.

That said, I usually leave a few dozen 3x3x3 or better charcoal pits littered about the world when I start a new game, usually by a year in or so. I just don't know what else to do with all the free time (there's a lot of hours of darkness to fill in the winter with no crops and no bees), and I'd like to deforest everything in range for the visibility alone. With at least 4,000 charcoal waiting to be tapped, I could have made a lot of steel, if I cared to.

Edited by Thorfinn

Yup, you two are correct. I actually spoke too soon in my game as a new player. I have to assume the initial grind with primitive stone tech is intentional design to encourage upgrading to metal and better tools. Once I crafted the shears, scythe, and better metal pickaxes everything went much faster.

I will now retract this suggestion.

• jumpityjumpjump changed the title to Suggestion retracted - Adjustment for single player, versus multiplayer?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.