More Horror

X-12

I feel like it would be fun if there were more horror aspects of the game or maybe a "survival horror" game mode that has all the normal aspects of the main game but with new spawns.  Like maybe a deer that stalks you and howls, maybe when hit or when its night and the time is right it contorts into a monster. Or something of the sort im sure that they have some similar things planned but it would be a cool suggestion.

Pretty sure it will come naturally, but too much horror at once and some of the more passive players who wants a sandbox experience, might not like it.

For instance the sort of horror that should be in the game, should be oriented to specific areas or trigger, so someone farming in base shouldn't suddenly get the chills like the grudge is stalking them.

• Like 1

The best horror has a set up.  Such as there's a quick introduction to unnatural critters (drifters), but there's other horrors out there, increasingly horrifying drifters, locusts of various types and temporal storms that don't come along the first night.  Watch some classic gothic horror (Alien or A Nightmare on Elmstreet) to see how horror is a buildup until you finally  meet the big bad boogie man - usually not until at least 1/3 or even 1/2 of the story is over.

Horror is basically not really a physical element, but the unknown lingering in people's psyche.

What people fear aren't the literal zombies or ghosts in games, but the concept of unknown behind these entities, like not knowing how many is around, how much of a threat they are, and if you are going to expect them to pop up or not.

Once the monster spawns and exists in front of you the fear will diminish over time the more you watch it move around and act.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dra6o0n said:

Horror is basically not really a physical element, but the unknown lingering in people's psyche.

What people fear aren't the literal zombies or ghosts in games, but the concept of unknown behind these entities, like not knowing how many is around, how much of a threat they are, and if you are going to expect them to pop up or not.

Once the monster spawns and exists in front of you the fear will diminish over time the more you watch it move around and act.

I'm really glad people are pointing this out.
I keep seeing people talk about all these 'horror' mods for Minecraft, but they literally aren't scary at all.
Oh yeah, weird monster dude sometimes shows up, screams and one-shots you. The true terror is in losing all your items.

As much as I would like more horror elements in this game, I really hope it isn't 'horror' in the way of "big scary monster guy".
I'd much rather have the already quite dark lore expanded upon to create horror and unease than some drifter who hit the gym punch me through a cave wall.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The atmosphere and survival aspect of not knowing what to do, where to go, and what to gather creates that sense of dread.

But once you get knowledgeable of the game it's less scary to dive into caves and whatnot.

To add more dread is to have more 'unknowns' but that means players who play longer will get over it sooner.

Edited by Dra6o0n

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.