Charcoal burning never finishes

I made a charcoal pit, checked it was airtight, and that it was quietly smoking. According to the guide it should be done in less than 1 in-game day, but after months it is still smoking with no end in sight. It is only slightly bigger than the minimum size (2x2x2), does size even affect the time it takes? If it wasn't sealed properly it would probably burn away more quickly than that, and make fire sounds, right? Is it just bugged? Are there some subtle restrictions on what shape the wood has to be in (e.g. perfect rectangles)?

Edited by ShnitzelKiller

Never seen that happen, though I rarely choose anything other than default settings, whether Wilderness or basic Survival.

And, no, I usually have oddly shaped pits. Whatever it takes to use up all the firewood. So long as it's within 6 blocks, you should be good.

Are you running mods?

Open it and see if the wood is still there. Also, have you put any non full blocks on the outer rim of the pit, f.eks. a stair or partly chiseled block? I've had this happen on one of my worlds, and it turned out to be caused by a stair block that I had used. If it's not any of these, I have no idea why it's not finishing 🥴

• Like 1

Had this happen to me the other day. I lit up a charcoal pit and it went on for days. Turns out I had an empty block block on one of the sides of the pit. After I filled it in with dirt it worked fine. 

From what I read elsewhere I would expect it to either not light up at all or have the firewood burn out instead of turning into charcoal though 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.