Steam train, cargo wagon and rails

If you still want to add steam as end-game content I assume you would use it for a steam engine and I don't think it would hurt for that engine to be used for faster movement from point A to point B, and a steam engine would fit very well inside the locomotive and it also wouldn't hurt to have a wagon attached to that locomotive for transporting more goods from one place to another.

• Rails: -Will be 1 type of rail, made with metal and depending of the metal used, the speed will change.

-The crafting recipe will be with metal beams and sticks

-and if you will put the rails on the ground and use them like that it will have a chance of destruction because will not be stable. And to be fixed on the ground you have to put stones in between the rails (to add stones will be the same interaction like adding sticks in a pit kiln)

• Wagon:-Depending on the metal from which the wheels are made, the speed of the wagon may reach the maximum speed of the track or if the wheels are made of a material weaker than the track, it will be limited to a certain speed.

-This is just the base of the wagon, the part you put on the rail, from here you can choose what type of wagon you want depending on your needs, from a gondola carrying raw materials, to a simple wagon, covered wagon carrying goods in boxes and if you travel long distances and have ensured the locomotive has everything it needs, there is no need to sit next to it so you can go to the passenger wagon where you can sit with your friends, rest, admire the view and even have a snack if necessary

-Depending on the material used for the plates in creating the base of the wagon it can carry a higher weight (e.g., if the plates used are made of copper and the wagon will be used for the transport of raw material it will be limited to 15 slots).

railway-steam-engine-coal-car-chicago-alton-14250373.jpg.webpimage.png.b91ed7930415e904148607752a643b89.pngimage.png.2019ede2253fd772a24aefca6a643d71.png

Edited by Mortor Zed
added info
  • Like 8

Wooden rails are in the game's files, so fingers crossed for some kind of cart system and maybe trains eventually!
I say trains eventually because you would want steel to make railway tracks that are at all decent. You could not run a train on wooden rails.
Since steel rails are not in the files yet but wooden rails are, I am lead to believe that the devs may be tinkering around with some kind of simple cart or tram system.

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 1

Technically we have boilers and gas lighting in the game, but that level of tech is currently unattainable. I don't know about trains--while they are cool, we can just teleport thousands of miles in an instant via the translocators. I could see a much smaller version though being used to push around minecarts, and minecarts would be nice to have for transporting things in and out of dedicated quarries and other mining locations. A mini version like this could also serve as a lazy seraph's way to travel short distances as well, provided they're willing to build the infrastructure for it.

Another idea that just crossed my mind--some sort of little steam-powered paddle wheel attachment for boats. I would expect it to be difficult to craft, but it could offer a steady source of power, assuming that standard sailing works similar to how Valheim handles things.

• Like 1

Two metal bars for 3 rails is not nearly enough to make it worth bothering with. Something closer to 2 ingots for 64 track sections (1 stack) might be worth the effort. You need tens of thousands of rail sections to make much of a difference. Paths wouldn't make any sense at all if it weren't for the fact you would have trunks full of stones (or yeet them) by the end of the first year. Other than frequently traveled routes and bridges, you don't save enough time to make the investment in building paths worthwhile.

Or are you talking about just being a builder, not any real gameplay point to it?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 6:33 PM, Thorfinn said:

Two metal bars for 3 rails is not nearly enough to make it worth bothering with. Something closer to 2 ingots for 64 track sections (1 stack) might be worth the effort. You need tens of thousands of rail sections to make much of a difference. Paths wouldn't make any sense at all if it weren't for the fact you would have trunks full of stones (or yeet them) by the end of the first year. Other than frequently traveled routes and bridges, you don't save enough time to make the investment in building paths worthwhile.

Or are you talking about just being a builder, not any real gameplay point to it?

it's just a prototype and it's in debatable but you have a very good point of view

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.