Spyglass / Monocular

Goof

Something I feel would be a useful tool, but one with tradeoffs and opportunities for additional immersion is something like a "spyglass", or a typical handheld monocular or telescope.  We can already "zoom" in by reducing our FOV, and there are even "Zoom" mods that allow for this to be toggled on and off with a button press. Yet I'm not a robot with zoom lenses. 

The situations I find myself wanting a spyglass are:

• Hunting.  I want to better understand how to approach a goat, boar, moose, goat, deer, etc.  Where exactly is it, what's around it, what my approach should be.
  • Exploring.  Can I see further into that cave without having to first traipse inside?  Can I confirm I see something exposed of interest high up on a cliff face?  Can I get a closer look into a diverging valley to make a better decision as to which direction to take?  Is that really "Land Ho!?"  Do I want to land on that shore, or continue past?

I don't feel this should be something you use "passively."  It should be something you actively use.  You're potentially letting your guard down as you eliminate all of your peripheral vision to see something far out into the distance.  It should be quick and easy when in in action slot (or perhaps off-hand), but this shouldn't be like adding a "scope" to your bow where it feels like a free and obvious advantage you want to use at all possible times.  The intention is you're trading materials, an inventory/action slot, and some ability to be "at the ready" in combat in exchange for saving time by being able to make better informed decisions by having better information in a way that can still be immersive.

Spyglasses were meant to be used outdoors (especially in sailing), so anything that could oxidize (copper, iron) wasn't considered.  Typical spyglasses were made of brass or bronze.  Moreover, these were precision instruments for their time.  As a result, I figure crafting one shouldn't be trivial.  Obviously it needs to use a form of bronze for the enclosure, but I would think it'd need more than just some rough quartz or basic glass for the optics.  Having a spyglass should feel a bit magical given its "power", and building one should feel like a bit of an achievement.  Given true boats and more aquatic opportunities are on the horizon, I feel this could be a useful addition at some point in the future.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Edited by Goof
Thanks
  • Like 7

This would be super cool!
I think this would fit in really well with the game, too.
I mean, traders can already carry both spyglasses and magnifying glasses as cosmetic features of their models, so they are already part of the game's world.

• Like 1

I'm guessing this will probably be added to the game at some future point(maybe even next update?), as I can't really think of a reason not to. In regards to the lens...I'm not really sure how that would be craftable aside from it should require the smelted clear glass and not the basic quartz glass. So it would be gated behind a pulverizer for sure, but still attainable by the mid-game.

Alternatively, it could be an item that isn't craftable, and has to be purchased from a trader(treasure hunter/survival/commodities) or otherwise found in a loot chest. The reasoning for this is that the technology and skills required to craft lenses like that perhaps have been lost to history, similar to Jonas tech requiring parts that need to be found rather than crafted. On the other hand, we could have a basic spyglass that has a moderate zoom, and then a new piece of Jonas tech that offers a much better zoom. Another critical difference between the two could be that the spyglass will require an inventory slot if you intend to carry it around and use it, whereas a Jonas device could be worn on the head like the night vision mask(and thus save the inventory space as well as not be lost on death).

There's a spyglass mod until this is added to the game (if it ever is added to the base game).  It's one of the very few content mods I play with.  I just need to remember to take the cotton picking thing with me when I go out on an extended explore.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 7:59 AM, Maelstrom said:

There's a spyglass mod until this is added to the game (if it ever is added to the base game).  It's one of the very few content mods I play with.  I just need to remember to take the cotton picking thing with me when I go out on an extended explore.

Spyglass mod is must have for me as well, I make it as soon as I am able.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.